Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange Calipers and Other Winter Projects!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Orange Calipers and Other Winter Projects!

I did some mods myself this winter. Nothing too profound but I thought I'd share them.
  1. Painted the calipers Mustang Grabber Orange
  2. Fabspeed Cat Bypass pipe - saved about 8 pounds....shucks.
  3. Front Fascia for cooling ducts and 3rd radiator
  4. Braille 11 pound battery

I painted the calipers using the G2 high temperature paint kit. While I thought about doing a custom RS Orange, I decided that the stock color Mustang Grabber Orange was close enough. I also have a few different Oranges represented in some of my graphics so I thought I'd add to the pot pourri. To paint the calipers, I did remove them, removed the caliper connecting lines and bleeder valves, and painters taped around the internals. The G2 kit is nice but I think my painting skills could be improved upon!! I know that I've seen 600F on my rotors at the track so I'm curious to see how well this product stands up. I do think the calipers look pretty cool now in ORANGE!

I replaced the catalysts since the Pawxster is now exclusively track. I used the Fabspeed pipes with extensions for the secondary set of O2 sensors. By extending the distance from the sensor, these are supposed to 'fool' the ECU to believe that emissions are OK. I haven't thrown a CEL but I don't think I'll know for sure until it hits the track in April. Fabspeed tells me that the chance of getting a CEL is pretty low with these extensions. I measure dB readings before and after placing the bypass pipes as I was concerned about making the car too loud as more and more tracks are limiting dB. There was NO difference in my before and after readings....interesting.

I made front fascia to protect the 3rd radiator from debris. Last season was the first year with the extra radiator and it definitely took some hits. I removed the front bumper using the Bentley manual as a guide. I used stainless steel mesh from Pegasus Racing. I placed larger mesh on the lateral ducts and simply secured it with zip ties. I used a finer mesh on the 3rd radiator and secured it with several screws and a hot glue gun. It came out pretty nice if I do say so.

Finally, I replaced my stock battery with the Braille 11 pound kit.

And now for some gratuitous pictures.......

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, at least you didn't bother vacuming out all those leaves and needles
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Hey, at least you didn't bother vacuming out all those leaves and needles
I need to get the car outside and whack it with my high pressure air dryer. Those bloody pine needles got everywhere when the car was on an open trailer before.

Quick Reply: Orange Calipers and Other Winter Projects!