Sponsored by:

99 Tiptronics, Banging noise when shifts Could it be a mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM
US928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tiptronics, Banging noise when shifts Could it be a mount

My 99 Tiptronics makes a banging noise when it shifts, this happens when i accelerate the car from first to second gear, if i drive it slowly its fine, when happened i was thinking its the antifreeze bottle that is moving around in the trunk, Does transmission have a mount? or what should i check. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by US928
My 99 Tiptronics makes a banging noise when it shifts, this happens when i accelerate the car from first to second gear, if i drive it slowly its fine, when happened i was thinking its the antifreeze bottle that is moving around in the trunk, Does transmission have a mount? or what should i check. Thanks in advance.
Certainly I would start with a check all the engine and transmission mounts for any signs of problems. More than one Boxster owner has had an engine mount fail. (The front one under the nose of the engine failed on my car. The rubber inside the mount cracked. It takes some close examination to notice this though. And you might have to remove one or more underbody plastic panels to get a clearer view of the mounts and their rubber.)

While you have the car up in the air check for anything that can be loose and banging around. Heat shields, exhaust components, even a sway bar link, etc. Anything.

As for the Tip, how's the fluid level? I would advise a fluid change but the latest word I get -- and just recently -- is often times with an old Tip with 'high' miles shortly after the fluid is changed the transmission fails, starts to slip and then goes on downhill from there. Seems the transmission is sensitive to the new fluid. What probably happens is wear occurs and the fluid gets some wear debris in it and thickens up some too and this thickening and debris compensate for the wear and things work pretty as they should. But when new fluid introduced the new fluid is more fluid, has no debris in it, and the transmission slips and then ultimately goes bad entirely.

So, if the fluid is low, bring it up to the proper level. But whether to change it or not is a tougher call. You might 'resurrect' the Tip with a fluid and filter service but OTOH you might send it over the edge too. Of course, if it is sick and the cause of the symptoms it won't get any better with time/miles, so a fliud change might be a wise gamble. The thing will either get better or die but at least you know.

Check the mounts, first though.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 PM
US928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Transmission shifts fine, there is no problem, i was thinking it maybe a engine or trans mount, I just finished reading on how to install engine mounts on Pedro's web site, he also sells racing mounts, i may just order from him,
Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by US928
Thanks for the reply, Transmission shifts fine, there is no problem, i was thinking it maybe a engine or trans mount, I just finished reading on how to install engine mounts on Pedro's web site, he also sells racing mounts, i may just order from him,
Misunderstood. If the Tip shifts ok then the banging is just some mount or some other component loose.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 99 Tiptronics, Banging noise when shifts Could it be a mount