Sponsored by:

Virgin Porsche owner, just bought Boxster: have a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
mikstew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin Porsche owner, just bought Boxster: have a few Q's

Hi all, this is my first time post (on these forums). I'd like to start by saying that I am truly impressed by the build quality in my new car. It is a 98 Boxster with 45K miles, black on "baseball" red (not sure what that means).

While my previous car ownership history includes BMWs, Audi a6, Infiniti fx-45, Volvo s80, Acura TL, MDX, and even a rotary-powered Mazda RX-7, I must say that the Porsche trumps all of these cars in some areas. Specifically, I feel a deep appreciation towards the attention to quality materials, fitments, and styling. Also, the driving experience has been the most enjoyable so far. Although the only other comparable car I've owned would be the RX-7, and I must say that the '7 was nearly as fun as the Porsche, even though I am certain the body Panels were made from tunafish cans, and the dash from recycled chopsticks.

At first I though "Porsche, pfft... it can't be THAT much better than the rest", even though that is what they say. Now, having owned the car, I can say there is certainly some truth to it. Great work, Porsche, and thanks!

Now that I have made my fanboy comments, I already have a few technical questions for those more well-versed in zee German auto-tongue.

1. The car has a new battery (a few weeks), but it seems rather weak. Turning the car over sounds like it is VERY taxing for the battery, and on a cold day, if I turn it over in some "special" way that I cannot reproduce, it will not even start the car.

2. Here in Vancouver, BC, we have a lot of rain. Rainwater is accumulating massively on the "Porsche" foot-kicks on the driver's side. Is this bad? is there some sort of window-to-door seal that is going bad?

3. There is an infernal buzzing, whirring, tapping sound coming from the passenger side dash area. Not to be confused with the climate control fan squeaking, or the blower motor bearings chriping. It sounds as if a fan of a decent size (5" diameter or so) is catching a small protrusion. It is not always on, but turns off with the car. It is not the blower motor, because the noise is independent of the blower motor speed. If I were to guess, I would say that Porsche has some other motor driven unit located under the dash passenger side, or beneath the hood in that area, like a secondary air pump, or AC compressor fan (not sure why this would be on, though), or other magical Porsche gizmo.

4. My rear plastic window is foggy. Can I buff it? Also, when it's cold, it gets crumpled and develops a 'scar' where it crumples. Is there any way to make it more pliable?

Regardless of these issues, I am very happy with my purchase, and will probably buy Porsche in the future. Of course not one person need answer all issues, but if anyone has had exp with any one of these issues, please post.

Thanks,
Happy Porsche B-owner (it's not a chick's car!)

EDIT:
Video for Problem 3.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXBSgG7HY4
Video for Problem 1.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDMfyQjnz8

Last edited by mikstew; 02-01-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mikstew

<snip>

Now that I have made my fanboy comments, I already have a few technical questions for those more well-versed in zee German auto-tongue.

1. The car has a new battery (a few weeks), but it seems rather weak. Turning the car over sounds like it is VERY taxing for the battery, and on a cold day, if I turn it over in some "special" way that I cannot reproduce, it will not even start the car.

2. Here in Vancouver, BC, we have a lot of rain. Rainwater is accumulating massively on the "Porsche" foot-kicks on the driver's side. Is this bad? is there some sort of window-to-door seal that is going bad?

3. There is an infernal buzzing, whirring, tapping sound coming from the passenger side dash area. Not to be confused with the climate control fan squeaking, or the blower motor bearings chriping. It sounds as if a fan of a decent size (5" diameter or so) is catching a small protrusion. It is not always on, but turns off with the car. It is not the blower motor, because the noise is independent of the blower motor speed. If I were to guess, I would say that Porsche has some other motor driven unit located under the dash passenger side, or beneath the hood in that area, like a secondary air pump, or AC compressor fan (not sure why this would be on, though), or other magical Porsche gizmo.

4. My rear plastic window is foggy. Can I buff it? Also, when it's cold, it gets crumpled and develops a 'scar' where it crumples. Is there any way to make it more pliable?

Regardless of these issues, I am very happy with my purchase, and will probably buy Porsche in the future. Of course not one person need answer all issues, but if anyone has had exp with any one of these issues, please post.

Thanks,
Happy Porsche B-owner (it's not a chick's car!)
A new battery can be bad. Unlikely though. Without knowing the history of the car or who did the battery R&R my advise would be to ensure the battery is proper size (CCA, AH, etc.) and connected securely. That no cable is loose, etc.

Even a good battery needs to be used to keep it charged up. A battery doesn't like to be discharged too much especially in cold weather.

If there is any water (dampness) in the cabin -- carpets (check under the seats!) or if either carpeted section along the either door is damp water is getting into the cabin. The most common sources of water are blocked drains. There are two -- one each side -- under the clamshell and two under the cowl panels. These drains and their catch/drain basins tend to collect debris (mainly leaves, plant trash, etc.) and block and rain or wash water will collect and overflow into the cabin.

Another possibility is the door window seals leak and allow water inside the door. Give each door a shake listening for water sloshing. But if the carpets along the bottom side of the door are damp there may not be enough water to slosh but water is probably getting in the door nonetheless.

If water is in the door this can drain the battery (and create all kinds of electrical gremlins.)

If you find any signs of water/dampness in the cabin, dampness this might account for the battery's behavior. And item #2 kind of suggests there is water in the cabin where it shouldn't be.

The noise is probably coming from a tiny fan -- used to circulate are over a cabin temp sensor that helps the A/C/heater keep the cabin temp just right -- that resides behind the circular grill on the dash on the passenger side. Perhaps a piece of foam insulation hanging down or some piece of trash is in there. Not sure how to get into that and check it is clear (or not) though.

Not recommended to lower the top in real cold weather. The plastic window can crack. Newer windows are very pliable but age sees them get brittle and inflexible. When you do lower the top open the top enough to start the rear window folding then get out of the car and do a 'chop' with your arm/hand and make a nice even crease/fold in the window so when you open the top all the way the window doesn't develop a compound fold/crease.

Some even buy a piece of wool or something and place it in the fold of the rear window to keep the fold less sharp and to keep the plastic of the window folds from rubbing against each other. (I used a medium sized very soft bath towel for this.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
mikstew
Advanced

By the way, it appears the PO wrote down the option codes. I have no idea what they are, though.

x77
x97
x98
Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of nice options.. like 030 - sport suspension! Someone will likely post a like to an option decoder.

I wonder if item one above is a failing ignition switch, since you say it sometimes doesn't turn over at all. This is a common failure part on these cars. Part is cheap. Likely a D-I-Y thread out here as well.

Yes, rear window can be buffed, but given its age, it may not be perfect. Do NOT open the top below 45-50 degrees without being careful. Mine tore in 40 degree weather. Also learn the "boxster chop" so that the rear window fold correctly.

Your car should not be collecting water. Get it dry! (the computer sits under the drivers seat. When it gets wet? Big $$$$$. There are also several "drains" for the top that should be checked and cleaned out.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a list of option codes:
http://www.986online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...tioncodes.html
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very useful link, Keith. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never heard of "baseball" red.

My '99 has a "Boxster" red interior.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts
Default darn

I thought this thread was going to be about something different...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
mikstew
Advanced

Hah, sorry to disappoint.

Back on topic with some updates:
1. I found out where the car was leaking from: With the roof in the service position, there is a drain close to the drivers side door that exits towards the outside of the rear quarter. This drain was not blocked, but the rubber trim that provides a seal between the trough and the folding roof was not fixed to the trough rail very well. When I poured water in the trough, it did drain, but it also seeped underneath the the rubber trim, into the cabin, thus wetting the carpet beneath the driver's seat. This was quickly fixed by applying some "GOOP" and pushing the trim tight up against the rail.

2. Rear plastic window: I breathed new life into the window by applying Meguiar's PLASTX. Supposedly it has some micro abrasive beads, complete with special natural oils. I didn't pay much attention to rubbing the mild abrasives into the plastic, but instead left it to sit and soak in. All I can say is that the window got INSTANTLY clearer with minimal effort. I would also like to think it is more pliable now, too, but that is something that is tough to measure.

3. Buzzing noise in dash - Macster was 100% correct - it was the climate control fan on the passenger side. Whacking it a few times did the trick. Perhaps I will go in there and clean it out one day.

4. I wasn't sure what "baseball" meant either. And now that I have decoded the options I think it has to do with the carbon fibre and aluminum trim. There is Al on the shift **** and handbrake, while CF covers the instrument panel, radio surround, steering wheel and door sils. It is really quite pretty. And regarding the 030 sport suspension - good lord is it hard on your soft parts!

The battery is still an issue, though. The car has a new batter (january) and ignition switch (January) but starts very VERY weakly. Maybe Porsche just uses undersized batteries? I need to get into another boxster to see how it turns over by comparison.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't know about the '98 Boxster but when my 02 Boxster's original battery went kaput I sourced a new one from my local dealer.

As I've mentioned before, the parts counter manager looked up the battery part number using my car's VIN and found Porsche had issued a new part number, specifying a higher capacity battery. More AHs. More CCAs. In fact the replacement battery was physically larger than the orignal battery, longer, but the larger battery fit right in the battery tray and while I had to move the battery holddown clamp out one hole there was a threaded nut at the hole. Sweet!

You can consult the owners manual to determine if the battery you have in the car is at least the same size/capacity that was in effect when the manual was printed. But to know if Porsche upped the battyer for the car you should visit your local Porsche dealer and supply a VIN and have him look up the battery details to make sure the battery is at least the equivalent of what Porsche believes the car requires.

If the battery is of the right size then perhaps the car has just not been driven enough to recharge the battery after a start and to keep the battery charged and in tip top shape?

To eliminate the battery as the problem have it tested then tested again after sitting several hours to see if the battery checks out ok. A new battery can fail at any time, so just because the battery was installed in January doesn't mean it can't have gone bad in the meantime.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fuhrius
I thought this thread was going to be about something different...
While I have nothing against "virgin Boxster owners," I've always found the "Boxster owners" with experience to be more entertaining
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

And that interior color is "Boxster Red."
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Plug your VIN in here http://www.autoatlanta.com/life/vin/...ea0916cs161475 The result will be a list of all your options as decoded.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
While I have nothing against "virgin Boxster owners," I've always found the "Boxster owners" with experience to be more entertaining
You're driving a Porsche now. You won't be a virgin much longer!

Quick Reply: Virgin Porsche owner, just bought Boxster: have a few Q's