Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a Boxster S - Need some input

Old 12-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think $200 is for replacing the oil mostly. The seal itself isn't that expensive if my memory serves me right.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
A bit of an eye-opener on maintenance costs for this model. Why would the RMS be $200 extra once you have the clutch out? Is the seal itself expensive, or is there more labor involved for whatever reason?
Extra labor. The RMS installation has gone through several revisions and to adhere to the current one to ensure the highest chance of a non-leaking seal requires extra labor.

BTW, an oil change is not part of an RMS job -- unless things have changed. When I had my 02 in for its RMS around the 25K mile mark the service manager told me while the RMS R&R was a warranty job this did *not* include an oil/filter or even an oil service. I elected to have the oil/filter changed at my expense.

I might add that the RMS was changed at 25K miles and the engine now has over 237K miles and the RMS (after over 200K miles) is still oil tight.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:55 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

239 is 18" alloy wheels per http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/Por...odes_List.html Porsche had this curious habit of using multiple codes for what was essentially one thing. Just look at the number of seat codes.

584 is what you have in the list, storage box above engine

The LN IMS has 1,000 plus installs, 30k max miles, zero failures we have heard of. IMS bearings can fail at any age/mileage. If it were my car and I had the trans out, I'd do it. Could the LN bearing fail...sure. So could the original seal on the Porsche bearing and we know what happens then. Pay me $ now or pay $$$ later.

Good price, yes. Great...no. Because you are going to have to put $800-1,400 into tires and $2-3.5k into clutch/rms/ims and you are still stuck with a marginal radio. Now if you get the price down to cover some of that it becomes great.

But the options are very good.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
237K miles is very respectable! Good job Macster!
Respectable?
You're pretty tough Matt, I'm going to give a deep bow in the direction of Macster for his 237k miles.

Then there's his detailed response which you have already noted.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Respectable?
You're pretty tough Matt, I'm going to give a deep bow in the direction of Macster for his 237k miles.

Then there's his detailed response which you have already noted.

Hahaha, yeah I agree. I'll give Macster a too.

So, I had the inspection scheduled for this morning. Of course the seller backed out last night. Claims he has a buyer offering $14K as-is. At that price I'm not interested anymore. $14K+$3K (clutch etc) + $1K (tires) = $18K. For $18K I can get a lower mileage 2003 in better condition.

I'm off hunting for another car. Anyone selling a Boxster in decent condition in the SF Bay Area?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Extra labor. The RMS installation has gone through several revisions and to adhere to the current one to ensure the highest chance of a non-leaking seal requires extra labor.
Macster.
There is less labor for the new seal & it costs $15 but the new RMS install tool costs $400. + that's how they justify the $200. labor.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
yelojkt
5th Gear

Sounds like it would have been a good deal you may keep an eye on it and see if it really moves. I have been looking for awhile and have yet to see an S go for under $10,000. This new buyer may not be doing his research and is thinking it is a good deal or he may not even exist. Either way at least for awhile S's will only get cheaper.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 AM
SeaNile
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love these threads. They bring me back to realty when i think $40K is needed for an 09 S. There are so many good cars out there for significantly less. It's all about bang for the buck and the fun factor. I'm wrestling with myself everyday over spending $14-20K for a 986 S or $30K+ for a 987, probably an 05. Is a 987 really "worth" double than a well cared for 986? I have to think not....
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Update: The seller is now interested in selling again.

Some more info:
Got the service paperwork which only goes as far back as 2007 when the current owner bought it. He bought from a Mercedes dealer and they did not provide any service history.

Nov 2007 : (64.9K miles) Replace parking light, drivers side heated seat fixed, Service performed and replaced brake fluid, clutch fluid, oil oil filter, wiper blades.

Feb 2008: (65.1K miles): MAF sensor replaced, cleaned throttle body.

July 2009: (70.5K miles): Service performed. Changed Oil, filter check all fluids, lubricate hinges etc.

August 2009: (71K miles): Water pump replaced along with drive belt

November 2009: (72.5K miles): Air oil seperator replaced

Jan 2010: (73.5K miles): Fuel pump replaced.

On one hand it looks like most of the typical Boxster problems have been taken care of. On the other hand.....I would have been pretty fed up with the car after having all these fairly "major" hit one after another. No evidence of the CV-joints being replaced which I understand is typical on Boxsters.

Is it good it's all been done or does this point to a problem car?

Asking price is $12.5K and provided the only major thing found during the PPI is the clutch I might be able to haggle it down to $11K.

What do you guys think? Is it worth doing a PPI? As stated above the car looks nice and clean cosmetically.

Last edited by Swede_Matt; 12-16-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some more info:
Got the service paperwork which only goes as far back as 2007 when the current owner bought it. He bought from a Mercedes dealer and they did not provide any service history.

Nov 2007 : (64.9K miles) Replace parking light, drivers side heated seat fixed, Service performed and replaced brake fluid, clutch fluid, oil oil filter, wiper blades.

July 2009: (70.5K miles): Service performed. Changed Oil, filter check all fluids, lubricate hinges etc.

On one hand it looks like most of the typical Boxster problems have been taken care of. On the other hand.....I would have been pretty fed up with the car after having all these fairly "major" hit one after another. No evidence of the CV-joints being replaced which I understand is typical on Boxsters.

Asking price is $12.5K and provided the only major thing found during the PPI is the clutch I might be able to haggle it down to $11K.

What do you guys think? Is it worth doing a PPI? As stated above the car looks nice and clean cosmetically.
PPI from a reputable dealer can never hurt, even though the car looks clean doesn't mean that it didn't have some major repairs done at some point ( even body work) ask me how I know. the cheapest way to get a PPI is go to a dealer and tell him you want to trade on a newer car and test drive one of their cars while they check out yours. you will be surprised how quickly the ppi will be done , for free. But you get what you pay for might apply. good luck with yours
Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaNile
I love these threads. They bring me back to realty when i think $40K is needed for an 09 S. There are so many good cars out there for significantly less. It's all about bang for the buck and the fun factor. I'm wrestling with myself everyday over spending $14-20K for a 986 S or $30K+ for a 987, probably an 05. Is a 987 really "worth" double than a well cared for 986? I have to think not....
I prefer the "styling" or lack there of as some people would say of the 986 & believe the classic styling will hold up long after the 987 styling is out of style.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Some more info:

With VIN you can call PCNA customer's service and find out to which dealer the car was sold to. With the VIN you can call this dealer and ask if it has anything in its records about servicing.

Do not expect the dealer's service department to print out and mail you or even fax you copies of the paperwork. When I have done this the service person will read off services and dates and miles and I jot these down as the person speaks.

Also, you can't or should not attempt to learn about the previous owners. Dealer service departments get a might antsy about this and clam up.

Along this same vein, if you can get a CarFax report you can sometimes learn where the car spent its early years and then call dealers in that area and with the VIN the service department will share with you what services were done.

That said what the car received in the way of service from new to several years ago counts for not much as long as the car's conditon is good. If the engine is quiet and runs good, etc.

Of course, should the CarFax turn up serious body/paint work or odometer tampering...

The servicing and repairs are typical. The AOS failed about where one would expect though some have failed in fewer miles and some have lasted longer. (My 02's 1st AOS failed around 80K miles, the 2nd 100K miles later.)

Same applies to the fuel pump. (Although, my 02's lasted to 170K miles.)

My 02's MAF was replaced by me courtesy of a mistaken diagnosis by me and after I don't know how many miles this MAF failed and I installed the original one and it worked just fine and still works just fine. The original MAF probably has over 150K miles on it.

Car is due for a brake fluid flush and bleed and of course the clutch slave cylinder needs to be flushed and bled at the same time. If you buy the car and have the clutch replaced I'd have this fluid service done then.

If the PPI turns up no signs of obvious (and thus poor quality) body/paint work and the tires show no signs of serious misalignment wear and the PPI doesn't find the alignment settings all used up in one direction or the other to compensate for a bent chassis/tub and the rest of the checks out ok the car sounds ok.

I'm not up on market prices of used Boxsters so I can't help you there. Up to you to determine if the price acceptable.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Macster, my sincere thanks for your wise and detailed feed-back. It's reassuring to know that the repairs are normal for the year and mileage. Also good that it's already been taken care of. I actually was able to get two Porsche dealers here in the Bay Area to print out and fax me the service records for one of my previous Porsches. Carlsen did it with a smile and the other one did it very grudgingly.

I figured other people in my situation might enjoy reading about my purchase process, what you get for the money etc so I'll continue my log book here.

Got some more info and ran a Carfax.

California car since new. Sold at Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City.
3 owners
Looks like 2nd owner did 60K mile service in April 2007
Additional service Aug 2007 at Stevens Creek Porsche
No logged service on Carfax between March 2003 to April 2007. This is the 2nd owner and looks to have been in Fresno.
Carfax is clean, no damage, accidents, odometer roll-back etc registered with carfax at least.

Seller claims he's got more service records and he is looking for them. Keeping my fingers crossed that he finds them.

So folks, we are a GO for PPI again. Keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't change his mind again before PPI time. Hope to squeeze it in on Saturday.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Macster, my sincere thanks for your wise and detailed feed-back. It's reassuring to know that the repairs are normal for the year and mileage. Also good that it's already been taken care of. I actually was able to get two Porsche dealers here in the Bay Area to print out and fax me the service records for one of my previous Porsches. Carlsen did it with a smile and the other one did it very grudgingly.

I figured other people in my situation might enjoy reading about my purchase process, what you get for the money etc so I'll continue my log book here.

Got some more info and ran a Carfax.

California car since new. Sold at Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City.
3 owners
Looks like 2nd owner did 60K mile service in April 2007
Additional service Aug 2007 at Stevens Creek Porsche
No logged service on Carfax between March 2003 to April 2007. This is the 2nd owner and looks to have been in Fresno.
Carfax is clean, no damage, accidents, odometer roll-back etc registered with carfax at least.

Seller claims he's got more service records and he is looking for them. Keeping my fingers crossed that he finds them.

So folks, we are a GO for PPI again. Keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't change his mind again before PPI time. Hope to squeeze it in on Saturday.
There is a Porsche dealer in Fresno. (I stopped in at the dealer to have a low rear tire on Turbo checked out the Friday after Thanksgiving. One nail and one piece of metal. No can fix. No tires in stock to replace with. Long story short I ended up the next day, Saturday afternoon, in Sacramento where the good folks at Niello Porsche fitted 4 new Bridgestones.)

Anyhow, give the Fresno Porsche service department a call and see if the dealer serviced that car while it was down there. I forget the name of the service manager I spoke with and I don't have the business card handy to read his name or phone number off of.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

PPI is done and here are the highlights/lowlights from the p-car mechanic:

Very clean exterior. Nice paints with only a few minor scratches. No signs of body-work or re-spray.
Clean interior with minor issues.

Bad news:
Clutch is gone as expected
RMS is leaking
Both window regulators needs to be replaced.
Motor mounts needs to be replaced
Coolant reservoir is leaking
Leaking cam covers
Radio volume **** works randomly
Tires worn and have plugs.

Add it all up and it's $6-7K of stuff that needs to be done. It's an old car so I don't assume it all should be in perfect order but just the basics add up to about $5K in repairs.

The seller was there for the review of the PPI and I think he is ready to really negotiate on the price. All that remains to be seen is if he will let it go for a price that still makes sense for me when adding in the repairs to the total cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Boxster S - Need some input