Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both AC vents Blowing Foam Particles ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Cornering
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both AC vents Blowing Foam Particles ???

Sorry for the dumb question, but before I tear my dash out, I figured you guys would know, and save me some time & trouble!
So everytime I turn on the AC, I have been getting little pieces of partially dried out foam insulation blowing out of the vents. I'm talkin' lots o' that crap all over the place...
I looked into vent & found several hugh (well 1/4" square) pieces hanging all over inside. I used a small shop-vac. & dental pick to got em all out, but my question is... what the heck is disintegrating in my vents? Thanks In Advance for any help!
CHEERS
John
Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading this will help:

http://carboncow.net/index.php?optio...d=16&Itemid=97
Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Cornering
AutoX

Arnaud, Gesh... I love this Forum!!!
Thanks very much for the Dead On Fix... I thought it might be a little involved, but now I know, and will try to get into it tomorrow.
I wonder why my AC is working perfectly? Maybe haven't lost enuff insulation yet? I'm in Puerto Rico so HEATER has never been on!!!! (rubbing it in a little, but really so hot here at times I wish I was up there where you are). I miss snow, but not while driving!
Anyway...I think I will do this fix using thin gauge Aluminum Metal Tape... super stick, and lasts forever.
Cheers
john
Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 PM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I need help too, anyone?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Brockmeister
Intermediate

Me too. Mine was blowing that crap around this summer as well.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM
jittsl
Racer

I only know this because I removed the AC from my spec racer BUT --- there are flapper doors throughout the the distribution box (the big black thing behind the dash on the passenger side) that are made of plastic and have a layer of foam rubber on them. The flaps are for redirecting the air from defrost to heat etc. and I guess the foam is to help them seal. For reference the foam is medium brown in color (or at least it is when it 12 years old). On my example these foam liners are fairly crumbley. My guess would be is that your foam seals are disintegrating. If I am right then the solution would be - remove distribution box, replace seals. Sorry.

Last edited by jittsl; 02-08-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 AM
jameshk
2nd Gear

In my case (2001 996TT), the foam has been blowing from the ac outlets for some six months. During that time a most annoying rattle has developed. It seems to be in the dashboard somewhere, cannot pinpoint it exactly without removing dash components.

james
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 AM
jittsl
Racer

I could easily imagine that once the foam seals have disintegrated then the flapper doors might rattle

Quick Reply: Both AC vents Blowing Foam Particles ???