Boxster S Prices - Taking a Poll Please share

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boxster S Prices - Taking a Poll Please share

Hi There;

Just thought I'd ask, but what are S's going for these days? I see all sorts of various info, but what are people really paying?

If you care to share, I think it would be good to hear what the market is actually doing these days. The 964 Forum does this and its interesting information.

Is there a big gap between asking and actual sales? As I am in the market, I would really like to know, and I am sure others would also benefit.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the most part, it comes down to mileage and condition. I know of a multi-owner '00S for sale. 100K+ miles.. replacement motor.. beautiful paint, asking $14,5. On the other end is '04S, especially the "550" model. These you won't see advertised for less than likely $30K. The "80%" range is likely $17-25K for the '00-'04 boxster S cars.

Also, if you're going to have a poll thread, devise a Poll on the top to answer to?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
I know of a multi-owner '00S for sale. 100K+ miles.. replacement motor.. beautiful paint, asking $14,5.
Then mine is a little cheap, thanks you virtually saved me some money
Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 PM
gmiz
Instructor

This is the info they ask for on the 964 forum - it appears, as suggested, as a permanent part of the forum. I assume the Rennlist Admin people put it there. I deleted the sections that were specific to 964's (C2 vs C4) but think this would be of interest to all here and to see what is really going on with these cars.

There is also a comment about people sharing confidential info, but I assume that if you are not into sharing the info, then just don't post it. Lets see what happens.

It appears that many doubt the accuracy of the prices that Bruce Anderson reports in Excellence on the sale of 964s. I would be willing to put together a more realistic database of the information pertaining to more recent sales.

If you would, please send me the following:

purchase price (in USD please)
purchase date
mileage
state or country where purchased
Model year
color
tip or manual

any aftermarket accessories that came with the car (including but not limited to wheels, suspension, exhaust, seats, stereo, mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, etc.)
your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest)
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest)
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest)
your assessment of the mechanical condition of the vehicle (1-10, 10 being highest)

If you have any additional info you think should be compiled, please let me know.

Go to the 964 forum if you want to see the years of info there. I found it really informative and it actually led me to looking for a Boxster instead.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM
cpcca
Track Day

Default Boxster values- Asking $$ is not selling $$

I've been watching eBay, Craigslist and AutoTrader for about a month now. Boxster S 2000 and 2001 only. Generally the asking prices seem to track Kelly, NADA, etc. However the sad truth (for owner/sellers) is these cars are just not selling for those prices. I've tracked 28 total cars. Some have relisted 3-4 times on ebay. Only 1 of that small sample has sold and that was a 2000 S, decent all round 98000 miles, for $10,900. I spoke to the local Porsche dealer (Sonnen, Marin County) and he said Boxsters just aren't selling for any price. He blames the economy for slow sales of all Luxury cars but thinks the Boxster resale has plummeted due to the perceived terrible reliability and catastrophic engine failures. So it's bad for Sellers/good for buyers if a 1st year S can be had for around $10000....that is if you want to roll the IMS/RMS dice.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Bought 01 S with many options?mods for $13,100.
Aslo had a complete new 3.2 motor from Porsche installed 60 k ago.

It is very nice to drive

Last edited by RDS928S; 08-26-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would expect my 01S to fetch perhaps 13K as well. 70K miles, good condition interior, lots of maintenance done including a brand new clutch and the Raby IMS bearing upgrade. Original RMS had not leaked at all but we replaced it with the updated one anyway. Paint is not that great, but she's a solid driver and that's what I do. I drive FLATOUT

Most buyers don't understand the RMS/IMS thing... usually all I hear is 'they like to blow up the motor right?' These cars are not for people who don't do regular maintenance. Watch the oil level, and fix the RMS if it leaks... RMS tends not to be a catastrophic failure.

Anyway, not for sale but I think 12-13K is about what I could get for it. Paid 20K 3 years ago with 52K miles and it is now paid off so... I'm gonna continue to drive it daily. If you are well informed the truth is that there is no better sports car bargain than a 986S right now. None.

Last edited by schwank; 08-23-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Fixed my typing mistake
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Default Good Deals out there

Wow, interesting information. Most I have seen are listed here in So Cal are between $16-17K, and I think most are selling in that $15k region.

I am looking at a seal grey 01 S with 70k Miles right now. 2 owners, the second one for only 5 months - selling because he does not drive it, only 1500 miles since he bought it. Upgraded sterio, 6 CD changer, all leather with the Porsche embossed seats, etc. Drives really solid.

We are at $14K for it. Apparently the original clutch still, but there is no slip and it engages well. PPI next week so we will see how it goes.

Nice to hear the actual selling prices. I agree, if this car checks out, its a lot of bang for the buck!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
there is no better sports car bargain than a 986S right now. None.
Agree
Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
dallison28
Pro

i sold my 02-s w/60k for 15,750 a few weeks ago. It was not perfect but all maintenance was done. That was what i paid for it 18 months ago, but it needed tires and 60k service which i performed.

The new owner is enjoying the hell out of it. I didn't want to sell but i wanted to save the money for the next house.

Quick Reply: Boxster S Prices - Taking a Poll Please share