Boxster lite

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts
Default what coilovers are those?

and do you recommend them?

your car makes mine look like a fat offensive lineman, but I'm inspired.

did you happen to keep track of the weights of stuff you took off?
I'm trying to get mine to lightest street-legal / safe weight...considering taking off top / motors, windows / motors, and A/C / heater next.

John
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fuhrius
and do you recommend them?

your car makes mine look like a fat offensive lineman, but I'm inspired.

did you happen to keep track of the weights of stuff you took off?
I'm trying to get mine to lightest street-legal / safe weight...considering taking off top / motors, windows / motors, and A/C / heater next.

John
They are KW Variant 2. My coilovers are probably the weakest link in suspension currently. They are fine for cheap $1700 single adjustable dampers. They are actually have fairly good amount of adjustability and they seem to manage my 600 lb rear spring rates pretty well. KW uses Koni tubes so they are decent - I bought these when car was still on the street.

I have been terrible at keeping track of actual weights. But I have very good idea of where most weight hides on these cars. I have thought now that I know where to take weight out a real lightweight street car could be possible.. Somthing with all essentials removed, partial rollcage, instrament pod with no dash, CF top, Lightweight wheels, etc.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
wharthog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A man after my own heart. I'm always shrieking about how weight loss is the quickest way to performance gain.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts
Default I've got a guinea pig car...

grantsfo,

I'm heading down this path and would greatly value some insights / learnings from you.

what I envision is a true 'spyder'...probably no top or windows, no a/c or heat, no stereo, largely gutted interior. I'd want to keep airbags (yes, I know they're heavy)...but the idea would be a very street-safe car to be used in good weather (90% of the year here).

are you in the bonny dunes area? perhaps we could connect some time in person and talk through this some more?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes I live in Bonny Doon close to the winery. Would be happy to talk to you and share ideas. I have learned a tremendous amount from this project about the car. I think one of the biggest things I have learned is what a slug of a motor the M96 is! Darn thing weighs over 400 lbs! Internals are very heavy and they are not easy to modify.

This will be my next phase for the car!

130 lbs lighter than M96 and 350 HP. This isnt my car put its a prototype conversion kit being tested in the West on one of the first Subaru conversions.

Quick Reply: Boxster lite