Tightening down some rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Tightening down some rattles

Hey all,

First - Does anyone know why this forum won't keep me logged in? I have to re-log in for every post, every reply, every time (even with the "remember me" button down). If I post a topic, as soon as it posts i'm logged back out. Weird.

Anyway, got my boxster and driving to work today I hear the following:

1. The plastic clear window between the roll bar hoops is rattling

2. The black plastic honeycomb grids are rattling (one popped out when I touched it).

3. Possibly additional rattles, could just be cowl shake.

My plan is to take 3m double-sided tape, or something thicker with more holding potential, and stuffing it into each attachment point on all 3 plastic pieces.

Has anyone else tried this and had anything work/not work?

Joe
Old 07-20-2010, 01:24 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe,
I suppose you are having log-in problems, because you are not a paying member. Thats one benefit you get with the membership.
About your car trouble... Let me see... you got up this morning, got into your car, and everything is rattling all of a sudden???
By the way, useful answers are another benefit of a paying member.

Cheers
Stan
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your response.

I didn't realize I needed to be a paying member. Perhaps to avoid certain advertisements, sure, but not to maintain a basic consistent login and gain useful information from public persons. In my ~18 years of internet experience, I've found that requiring people to pay for access or information is not a good model and discourages traffic...and therefore use. The more traffic comes to a website that allows contributions, the better the contributions, and the resource becomes more valuable.

I've gotten some good answers from Macster as well as others on here before. Perhaps I'll lean on other resources more often.

In regards to your question: I took possession of this car on Saturday. Yesterday morning was my first long drive in it on the highway. So yes, I woke up yesterday and the car was rattling more than I realized when I had gone to sleep the night before.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
blue2000s
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Hey all,

First - Does anyone know why this forum won't keep me logged in? I have to re-log in for every post, every reply, every time (even with the "remember me" button down). If I post a topic, as soon as it posts i'm logged back out. Weird.

Anyway, got my boxster and driving to work today I hear the following:

1. The plastic clear window between the roll bar hoops is rattling

2. The black plastic honeycomb grids are rattling (one popped out when I touched it).

3. Possibly additional rattles, could just be cowl shake.

My plan is to take 3m double-sided tape, or something thicker with more holding potential, and stuffing it into each attachment point on all 3 plastic pieces.

Has anyone else tried this and had anything work/not work?

Joe
It's not an issue with paying membership, you might have cookies blocked or a security setting that doesn't allow cookies from this site. Also, if you're using Firefox, sometimes this happens even with cookies allowed.

I think most Boxsters have little squeaks and rattles. Between the weaker convertible structure and all the plastic Porsche used in the cars, it's bound to happen. When I fist bought the car, I purchased a 12"x12" sheet of sticky backed felt and have been using it to quiet the noisy parts on the car for the last 4 years. I just put a piece of felt between the plastic parts or plastic and metal parts whenever I can locate the noise and it's done a good job of quieting things down while still allowing proper removal.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Hey Blue,

Thanks. I can definitely tell the difference between the frame flexing and causing noise (not much I can cure about that).

Last night I took out the black honeycombs behind the seats and put some stuff on their top tab. Quieted it down about 60%. Going to buy a sheet of felt like you mentioned and just start shoving it places.

When I was doing 70mph on the highway yesterday evening, the honeycombs and plastic windscreen were rattling really, really obnoxiously. That's all I really want to quiet down at this point.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
blue2000s
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Hey Blue,

Thanks. I can definitely tell the difference between the frame flexing and causing noise (not much I can cure about that).

Last night I took out the black honeycombs behind the seats and put some stuff on their top tab. Quieted it down about 60%. Going to buy a sheet of felt like you mentioned and just start shoving it places.

When I was doing 70mph on the highway yesterday evening, the honeycombs and plastic windscreen were rattling really, really obnoxiously. That's all I really want to quiet down at this point.
Boxsters have an aluminum bar that runs under the dashboard from one door jam to the other. It's bolted to a steel piece that makes up the frame for the stereo at the center of the car. There's just enough motion between the aluminum brace and steel frame when the chassis twists (like going up a curb) that there is sometimes a "pop" sound. Later cars added a felt strip between the parts to stop the noise, I took my dashboard apart and added it to my car and the noise totally went away.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19207
Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See what you think w/o those honeycombs, I just pulled them out and it looked nicer (I think) and didn't make a noticeable difference with wind.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

My plastic wind screen rattled at idle but I think I broke the tab removing it

Quick Reply: Tightening down some rattles