Sponsored by:

How much DIY can be done on the Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much DIY can be done on the Boxster S

I have owned a 72E and a 76S, but its been quite a while.

I currently own an 87 BMW 635 csi for the last 10 years.

I would like to get back to owning a Porsche again. Once its in your blood, It never goes away.

I have admired the Boxster since its introduction.

I have been able to wrench on my 6er quite easily and would like to be able to do the same with a Boxster S.

How much DIY can I expect to be able to do on these cars ?

Thank you for all your help.

Jonny A
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Surely you can do routine maintenance like oil and filter changes, air filter changes, P/S fluid. Brake pad change and fluid flush/bleed is straight forward. With some experience and the right tools, struts can be changed.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Pretty much all of it. Well, anything you'd normally do on any other car. It's mid-engine, and rather a PITA to get to things that you can just pop the hood for on any other car, but it's designed to be maintained from below and from the access ports, so it's not really all that hard, just a little more time consuming. Having access to a lift makes it easier, but jack/jackstands and ramps will work, too. The parts are all available online. The only thing you can't do are a few computer-related things you need dealer-level access to the computer for.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Thank you.

On my older 911's and my currrent BMW, there is basically nothing maintenance wise I can't do myself in my garage. I have done a ton of suspension upgrade ,brake upgrade, transmission swap, and general replacement of all wear items on my cars.

I really love to be able to work on my cars and I just don't want to be dependent on the dealer or independent shop because of obd2.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet BMW!

Suspension and brake type stuff not much different than other cars. Working on the motor is a PITA because of it's location. Much harder than on a front engined car. If you don't have lift access you'll be getting a workout playing with jack and jack stands. The top motor access port isn't very large or easy to reach into. The motor front access is behind the seats. You need to pull the passenger seat to get in and change the serpentine belt. Sound like fun yet? Working on the Boxsters is deffinately no picnic.

Phil
Old 07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Holy Bejeezus!!!! That is a really nice BMW!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great BMW for sure! The boxster is a great DIY car. I have been doing my own for 3 years. CV boots, all fluids, brakes, shifter cables, etc. no problem.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Thank you for the complements on my 635 csi. It has been great fun doing all the upgrades. Definitely easy to work on.

Thank you also for the great info on working on the Boxster. That is exactly what I was asking for.

So a lift is a must.

You read so much in the letters section on Excellence magazine and the BMW Roundell how everyone is so upset with all the computer stuff on the newer cars and having to always take them to the dealer to be worked on.

I thought I would buy an older 911 again, but the boxster keeps talking to me.

I really want to do as much of the work as I can on my car as oppsed to taking it in and have others do your upgrades/maintenance.

You really get to know you car this way in my opinion.

Has anyone here on this forum put Moton club sports on their boxster and used it for the street. How do you like them ?

Thanks again.

Jonny A.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

i am in the same boat as you. looking to get into either a 986 or a 987. thanks for this thread.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going to get an '04 or earlier I suggest you pick up one of these.
Very well thought out.

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Boxste.../dp/0837613337
Old 07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

smlporsche:

I just ordered two books on Boxsters from amazon and they should be here tomorrow.

I have the Bentleys for my BMW and it is a must if you work on your car.

When I get a Boxster, I will order a Bentleys then.

Thanks for all the info.

Jon
Old 07-17-2010, 11:57 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all the statements about servicing you boxster, I for one choose to sell one of my bikes and bought a lift, since I had a low clearance there was onlly on choice,, its called maxjax and its probably the best investement I made, I do a lot of mods and I would not want to do it on jacks , although thats how I started out. Good luck, you wont be sorry to get a Boxster . here is a pic in my garage and a link to their website, it cost around $2000 but worth every penny if you intent to track your car. BTW you either need to hire someone to install or in my case did it myself , not hard , my floor turned out not to be thick enough but I too care of that by cutting out a 2x3 and undermining my floor with high strenght concrete from home depot - also forgot, the nice feature of this lift if you are not using it you can unbolt the lift wiht 5 bolts and roll it in a corner, (quick disconnects for the hoses) and when its raised all the way up I can get under the car on an old office chair I have in the garage and work on anything - have done clutch replacement, shock and springs , brakes, etc - its GREAT
http://www.maxjaxusa.com/specifications.html

Name:  Boxster 001.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  83.6 KB
Name:  Picture 010.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  117.5 KB
Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

All the common stuff is pretty typical. Brakes are stupid-easy. Access to the engine is cramped, so you have to be flexible and patient. Luckily, you really don't need to do anything to the engine, regular maintenance-wise. About the closest is air filter and power steering fluid which are accessed from the top. The serpentine belt is behind the seats, which can be done if you slide the seats forward. I think the interval on that is something like 50K miles, though. Also, you don't really need a lift. 2 floor jacks work (and/or jackstands) work fine. I have done a ton of maintenance and mods with only floor jacks.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll second Arenared's comments that (a) the serpentine belt can be replaced without removing any seats--I've done it, and (b) no need for a lift for maintenance.

I've done the 60K maintenance myself in my garage with the car on jack stands. In fact, I did it one evening after work and was done in just a couple of hours, including time to put up the car. Spark plugs are easy enough, but I recommend removing the rear wheels. In fact, I find it easier to deal with the spark plugs on my Boxster than my Suburban or the wife's Tacoma.

If you want to buy a lift, go for it. I hope to do that myself before too long. However, don't feel obligated to do it just to keep your Boxster running.

Quick Reply: How much DIY can be done on the Boxster S