Sponsored by:

Moton club sports on street car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moton club sports on street car

I have been looking at buying a boxster/boxster S and would like any input about how Motons would work on the Boxster for a street car.

Part of the suspension limitations on my BMW is very little choice for shocks. They are either spec'd for racing and too stiff for the street, or the regular shocks with no adjustment.

Would they be too stiff even on milder settings or would they have enough adjustment to handle a longer shock travel needed to work for the streets, at least on the roads in my area. The deferred road maintenance is getting worse.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 PM
every day
Racer

Seems like overkill, the more common choice is PSS9's.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

u can do it. but you wont benefit much from it.
pss9 is more than enough for street use.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Jonny A
Advanced

I know Motons are available for the Boxster, but I would like to know if they will work for the street or will they be too stiff for the street ?

Thanks.

Jon
Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Motons and any other quality shock can be calibrated for street, track or race applications. Moton Club Sports are designed to be a dual purpose street/track shock. Like most companies Moton will revalve them for a fee if you desire.

Bilstein PSS9s are a popular street shock a step up from the OE calibration. Sachs also has a new line of street/track dual purpose coilovers that are gaining in popularity as being a step up from the PSS9s and in between the Moton/JRZ priced Club Sport shocks.

http://www.sachssport.com/OrderForm.htm
Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motons

Having had Bilsteins and then upgrading to Moton Three Way for my track car, Motons are great shocks...for the track. No way would I spend that much (I paid $3000 for them used and new I think Moton two ways are at least $6,000) for street use, and the Bilstein PS10 is good for track and street.

Honestly, if you are street only, stock shocks are what I would use but that is just me. I know it is fun to upgrade stuff!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your input.

I spent a ton of money working out the differences in shocks that a lot of people say work fine for the street, but actually they did not.

I used to have Ground-Control coilovers on my BMW 635 csi, but the adjustable Koni's simply would not work for the street in the travel range of the shock. I spent a lot of time and money matching shock setting with spring rates and finally took the G-C off as they simply would not work properly.

I finally had a set of custom coilovers made by Ireland Engineering along with revalved Bilsteins and they work much better for the street.

I keep reading in my Excellence magazine how great Motons are on cars in the articles they write.

The problem with most shock/spring setup is the spring perch sets ride height and that limits shock travel. The motons can set ride height seperately from shock travel.

If I am going to spend big money on shocks/coilovers, I just wanted to know if the Motons have enough room to work for the street.

I spent at least that much on my BMW trying to get a great setup, but still compromised because of the lack of choices.

Porsches have so many more choices.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

^^^^ It's frustrating because many of the street set-ups are designed to be used on a lowered track car and thus don't offer the correct shock stroke or street operating range - as you have learned, when set at a resonable ride height with appropriate street spring rates.

Quick Reply: Moton club sports on street car