Sponsored by:

newbie Boxster owner, can't get the front trunk open

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, I got it!

It was toward the passenger side. After pulling the whole wheel well, I couldn't find it (because it wasn't visible) on the pass side, I dropped the d/s wheel well too. Jacking up the car a bit gave enough space to actually attempt this, w/o removing the wheel.

So, zero for two on the wheel well...I loosened the bottom of the bumper out of desperation. I pushed my arm up into the void, all the way up to the latch, and found the cable there. I gave it a sharp yank, and popped it open. Best I could do for future was to drop it down behind the bumper and over to the edge of the p/S bumper-wheel well interface. I put the loop under one of the reattached screws. I tested it once by reaching a few inches inside the bottom, so that's the deal. I'm pretty sure it wasn't threaded thru the wheel well, so that was the best I could do.

Best of all, the lug key was in the boot.

Thanks for the help, esp Ray S.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 AM
AM Wood 986
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a 2004 986. My front trunk will not open via the remote or the switch on the drivers door sill. The previous owner rigged the wire to the area behind the passenger side marker. I want to solve the problem so the things opens properly. Is it a known issue what goes out and how I can fix this the right way???
Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure it's a big issue. My car is 14 years old and I've never needed to use the auxiliary cable.

I only know it's there because I had previously read about it and saw it on my car when I had the wheel liner removed.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
AM Wood 986
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
I'm not sure it's a big issue. My car is 14 years old and I've never needed to use the auxiliary cable.

I only know it's there because I had previously read about it and saw it on my car when I had the wheel liner removed.
For me not being able to open the front trunk without removing the side marker and pulling a cable IS a big issue! I am trying to figure out what is the cause of the frunk not opening properly, either by remote or by pulling the button on the drivers side door sill.

Any ideas on what/how to narrow it down to which parts need to be replaced or adjusted?

thanks

Quick Reply: newbie Boxster owner, can't get the front trunk open