CDR23 woes - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Kenwood
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDR23 woes - any ideas?

Hey guys,
I have a 2004 Boxster S with the CDR23 and after a couple hours of driving in warm (85 degrees) weather, the cd changer stopped playing mid-song. I thought it was a spec of dust on the CD, so I skipped to the next song and it was fine. Several minutes later, it did it again. This time, when I tried to skip to the next song, it would skip, but there was no sound, it was as if it was on mute. I clicked over to FM, AM, and the single slot CD and no sound. Then it wouldn't recognize the CD changer. The single CD will take and eject CDs, and they will run (the CD spins, and the time counter runs, but no sound. I turned it on and off a few times, turned the mute (TP) on and off a few times, but still no sound and it still won't recognize the CD changer, even though the CD changer will power up and eject the cassette without any problems.

Any ideas? Is there some sequence of buttons I can press to reset it, or get some diagnostics? Is there a fuse that would affect the sound only, perhaps in the amp?

This happened once before under warranty and they replaced the head unit. ANy idea if these are covered under the CPO warranty?

Thanks to all in advance...

Ken
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can go to the Porsche website and look at the CPO coverage. This should help determine what's covered, and what isn't. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a similar problem over the weekend- my CDR23 just stopped playing any sounds when I turned the car on. Did not work when I turned the car off and back on, but it worked fine the next morning and no problems since. Weird. I wonder if it's related to heat expansion, or some wierd asymmetric strain between hot components and the cold AC ducts?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Kenwood
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried again after the car sat for a couple hours and everything was fine. I was also thinking that it could be something due to heat/expansion of something, however, I did run the AC full blast right after it happened, thinking that cooling off the cabin/dash area would help, but it didn't. It just needed to cool off in the garage for a couple hours. Maybe it's something in the front trunk area.

Very weird.

Quick Reply: CDR23 woes - any ideas?