Sponsored by:

won't start after refuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:47 PM
dongenaro
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start after refuel

2000 boxster won't start after refuel without using gas pedal. filled up cold out ot a gas can,started,but gauge registered half full,next refuel at gas station,same startup issue but gauge registers full,mechanic said MAF sensor but it runs great otherwise.i cleaned MAF,new plugs&filters,no difference. i'm guessing evap system component,check engine codes are for O2 sensor too lean/rich.any ideas?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dongenaro
2000 boxster won't start after refuel without using gas pedal. filled up cold out ot a gas can,started,but gauge registered half full,next refuel at gas station,same startup issue but gauge registers full,mechanic said MAF sensor but it runs great otherwise.i cleaned MAF,new plugs&filters,no difference. i'm guessing evap system component,check engine codes are for O2 sensor too lean/rich.any ideas?
What are the error code numbers?

Would be nice to know what the intake air and engine coolant temperatures are, that is what the Ecu thinks they are. For this you'll need an OBD2 code reader/data viewer.

What was in the gas can you filled the car from?

In meantime my WAG is air leak. Intake air leak of course and a big one. Even if oil filler tube cap off I believe the engine should start and run without any throttle application, so the leak's a biggie. If it is a leak.

If you suspect MAF, disconnect MAF at wiring harness and start engine just like always and see if symptoms still present. If they are, probably not the MAF.

If symptoms go away -- give the engine several cold starts over a span of time -- then probably MAF.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 PM
dongenaro
3rd Gear

p1125 & p 1126 are the error codes, gas from the can was same texaco premium fuel as before from a new clean can,doesn't seem to have any air leaks,engine starts and runs great except consistently after refueling
Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Macster
Race Director

p1125 & p 1126 are the error codes, gas from the can was same texaco premium fuel as before from a new clean can,doesn't seem to have any air leaks,engine starts and runs great except consistently after refueling
P1125 is cyls. 4-6 at lean limit. P1126 is cyls. 4-6 at enrichment limit.

You sure about the numbers?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 PM
dongenaro
3rd Gear

Default update on codes

codes were p1128 & p1130
Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

I haven't a clue what 28 and 30 are, but from the basic description that Macster put up, it sounds like you should be glad it isn't 25 and 26.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

codes were p1128 & p1130
My best Porsche OBD P1xxx references at home. I'll refer to them tonight and post what I have.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Macster
Race Director

codes were p1128 & p1130
Ok. P1128/P1130 are both the same error but on different banks. Oxygen sensing adaptation range 2.

In short, the Ecu has reached an enrichment threshold for both banks.

Possible causes:

Air intake leak.
Fuel pressure too low.
Fuel injectors contaminated.
Fuel supply volume too low.

Of the above, air intake leak is most likely. But if you tell me the fuel tank level is low or could be low (and the fuel gage not accurately reflecting fuel level) well then it is fuel supply.

Generally the diagnostics steps are to verify fuel pressure and flow, check the fuel pressure regulator, its vacuum connection and the fuel return line.

For an air leak I would of course suspect the AOS (air/oil separator), and then the oil filler tube. These have been known to crack or have a connection come loose and of course cause an air leak.

I would absent any other indications of a possible fuel pressure/supply problem suspect an air leak and eliminate this as a cause first.

IIRC, when my car's 2nd 3rd AOS was going out P1128/P1130 error codes appeared a few days in a row -- generally after leaving the freeway and drivin on surface streets towards hotel. (I was on a long distance road trip and covering hundreds of miles per day with brief stops for gas until late at night.)

The 3rd day after having reached my destination the night before upon the 1st start of the day after the car had sat overnight the engine emitted billows of smoke. It then became clear the source of the error codes. At first I had suspected the MAF but of course it was the AOS.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: won't start after refuel