99 Boxster Check airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:51 PM
newbie123
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Boxster Check airbag light

Dear all,
I have been stalking for a while now, and finally decided to register and contribute to this great online community!

Question 1:
If the Check Airbag light comes on, does it mean that my airbags will not deploy in an accident?

I have read different things, totally opposite, from online forums and from Porsche mechanics. What do you know?

Obviously, my motivation is clear: If the airbag system is operational and I am safe in the case of an accident, then I will be willing to live with a red light in my face.

But, if the airbags will not deploy in an accident, I will definitely suck it up and pay the $1.5k my mechanic is asking for.

To make this decision, I am relying on the collective knowledge of this group. Please help!

Thanks.

Newbie123
Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie123
Dear all,
I have been stalking for a while now, and finally decided to register and contribute to this great online community!

Question 1:
If the Check Airbag light comes on, does it mean that my airbags will not deploy in an accident?

I have read different things, totally opposite, from online forums and from Porsche mechanics. What do you know?

Obviously, my motivation is clear: If the airbag system is operational and I am safe in the case of an accident, then I will be willing to live with a red light in my face.

But, if the airbags will not deploy in an accident, I will definitely suck it up and pay the $1.5k my mechanic is asking for.

To make this decision, I am relying on the collective knowledge of this group. Please help!

Thanks.

Newbie123
The airbag controller has detected a problem. It turns on the warning light. The codes need to be read and a diagnosis made based on the codes.

Now the error may be due to a bad connection. Or the light may be on cause the car has had too many air bag deployments and the air bag controller counter is full and the air bad light is on because of this.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
newbie123
5th Gear

@Macster:
Thanks for the response again!

Mechanic said readout indicates "2 faults for passenger buckle". What do you say?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie123
@Macster:
Thanks for the response again!

Mechanic said readout indicates "2 faults for passenger buckle". What do you say?
What can I say? The mechanic's got the car in front of him. Ask him what it means and how much to fix?

Doesn't sound serious.

However, if the cause could be traced to the car being a flood car, then it is serious.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely is just a bad buckle. They go bad all the time. You can get one for cheap at suncoast porsche:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...y_Code=986seat

Easy to install, one bolt and one plug. After you install it you will need to clear the airbag code.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM
flintworks
Advanced

The buckles do fail often but there is also a TSB to replace pins in the body side of the harness for the buckle connector. If the problem persists eventually you can replace the airbag control unit with an updated version that is less temperamental.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Laura
Pro

This was a common problem in the early Boxters and Carrera.
Technical Service Bulletin #6924 explains the repair.
You should see fault codes 45, 46, 48, 49. Any or all. It could be one side or both.
The repair consist of replacing buckles, contact pins and modiffying the ground connection.

Quick Reply: 99 Boxster Check airbag light