Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spend my money

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:52 AM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a better pedal feel you could change the rubber brake hoses to steel braided ones that doesnt allow as much flex. Better fluid as you already have mentioned might help aswell. ATE Superblue Racing is my choice.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like a nice one at a great price! congrats!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Congratulations (and nice 997, too)!

Glass window and xenons are nice. I wouldn't bother with steel braided brake hoses. Didn't do a thing for me. Your rear pads are low, and these cars have WAY too much front brake bias, so I would kill a few birds with one stone. Put in some high friction rear pads. For the street, I like EBC Green. I think the Porsche OEM pads suck, but that's just me. I like the ATE super/blue fluids and alternating blue/gold. You could do Mintex Red Box in the front, which is a lower friction compound. I'm talking street use.

Mod-wise, stickier rubber is nice, cold weather permitting. One (expensive) mod I found that was among the best of everything I've done is to put in aftermarket rear track rods that are adjustable for bump steer. I got mine from ERP for I think $700 or so. They are actually for 996s and read about them on the 996 GT3 forums years back. Once the mid-engine Boxsters let go, they tend to go rather quickly, so you have to be on your toes, which could bite your wife since the response is so tempting. With the 18" wheels, you have the space to really alter the bump steer characteristics with these track rods. It is one of the significant geometry changes to the 987. With these track rods, you also get rid of the goofy eccentrics which will give you a more stable rear alignment. You will then be able to drift the rear around all day long.

"Desnorking" is free (Google it) but be careful you don't break anything. You may also consider fitting a screen mesh to keep cigarette butts out.

You already have the 030 sport suspension (Special Chassis Rigidly tuned) which is one of the best setups for the Boxster. Only concern might be that the struts are likely to be getting pretty tired at 100K miles. Changing them out is a PITA (especially the rear), so you could put the RoW 030 springs in there while you are at it which lowers the car a bit and also kills a few birds with reasonable $$$.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 AM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arenared, can you tell me more about the rear track rods? I hate how unpredictably the back end of this car feels.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

See http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...e-changes.html where another outstanding individual, Fort, and I were working on alignments and geometry. Also, see http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/serv...djustment.html
Old 08-10-2010, 02:58 AM
May911-85
Advanced

ate/motul ~great fluids!

Quick Reply: Help me spend my money