Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 2.7L Engine Noise (mp3 attached)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2005 2.7L Engine Noise (mp3 attached)

I've noticed this sound coming from the rear of my car after driving normally. It's a 2005 Boxster 2.7L, pampered and driven respectfully w/39 k miles on the clock. Given the IMS hysteria I could always assume thats the issue, however my gut leans more towards a throwout bearing. I've tried depressing the clutch pedal and the sound seems to diminish during this period.

To me a 40k mile car, properly driven, shouldn't have a throwout bearing going bad. So I'm even skeptical that is the issue, it just sounds almost exactly like a bad throwout noise.

I'm the second owner and have had the car since 32k miles.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Memo.mp3.zip (120.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Type_LT
I've noticed this sound coming from the rear of my car after driving normally. It's a 2005 Boxster 2.7L, pampered and driven respectfully w/39 k miles on the clock. Given the IMS hysteria I could always assume thats the issue, however my gut leans more towards a throwout bearing. I've tried depressing the clutch pedal and the sound seems to diminish during this period.

To me a 40k mile car, properly driven, shouldn't have a throwout bearing going bad. So I'm even skeptical that is the issue, it just sounds almost exactly like a bad throwout noise.

Didn't listen to the clip. Will do so later today at work.

If noise changes with clutch pedal down and up then release bearing a very good possibility.

While it is rare for one to fail so soon it is not impossible. In fact I note -- if it is the release bearing -- that it has failed in under 50K miles which under different circumstances would have been covered by the new car warranty.

Also, I note you bought the car used at 32K miles and 32K miles is plenty of time for the 1st owner to abuse the throwout bearing (probably by accident and nothing intentional) and you -- unfortunately -- in just a few thousand miles of driving reap the results.

Look at the bright side: Of all the noise sources it could be a release bearing is probably the least serious noise source it could be. While the repair won't be that inexpensive (but it could be worse) once fixed the car's back to full health.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Unable to extract any clip from the archive file. No end of directory marker or something like that.

Throwout/release bearing noise ranges from a screech squealing noise to a whirring noise to a grumble (can be barely audible -- at first).

Almost always (but not always) the noise goes away when the clutch pedal released and returns when the clutch pedal is pushed down.

In short if the noise is affected by the clutch pedal especially if the car sitting still, release bearing.

Well, there are a few other possibilities but all require the transmission be dropped.

These noises almost never fix themselves.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Macster,

Thanks, I also can't open the file. I zipped it using my MAC so perhaps thats the issue, although I can't imagine a .zip being anything other than a .zip.

I've re-uploaded but I can expand by saying the noise is a certain clunk-clunk-clunk with each clunk occuring on what seems to be each rotation of the engine, or some multiple of it.

If it's the bearing then that means I'll do a clutch and IMS upgrade while in there
Attached Files
File Type: zip
memo.zip (77.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Macster,

Thanks, I also can't open the file. I zipped it using my MAC so perhaps thats the issue, although I can't imagine a .zip being anything other than a .zip.

I've re-uploaded but I can expand by saying the noise is a certain clunk-clunk-clunk with each clunk occuring on what seems to be each rotation of the engine, or some multiple of it.

If it's the bearing then that means I'll do a clutch and IMS upgrade while in there
Zip file still not any good according to WinZip.

A clunk clunk clunk noise is not a common clutch release/throwout bearing failure noise. But if the noise affected by depressing the clutch pedal or releasing it the clutch is almost certainly involved.

Just for consideration: It may be the dual mass flywheel's dual mass thingie has failed. If this goes bad the flywheel can clunk upon initial take off. I could find it believeable the failure could result in a periodic, semi regular clunking noise tied to of course engine rpms.

Regardless if I'm right you'll just have to gain access to the clutch hardware and see what's what. As long as you're convinced the noise is indeed coming from the clutch area inside the bellhousing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard the clip. Doesn't sound like clutch.

Sounds like something has gone very wrong with one cylinder. Maybe terminal.

Mac, you're trying way to hard to diagnose a problem you have zero info on. That's a pretty tough nut to crack.

Phil
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I heard the clip. Doesn't sound like clutch.

Sounds like something has gone very wrong with one cylinder. Maybe terminal.

Mac, you're trying way to hard to diagnose a problem you have zero info on. That's a pretty tough nut to crack.

Phil
It would have been better to have been able to hear the audio clip.

But I had what the OP had to say about the symptom and was going by that.

I believe I mentioned the clunk clunk clunk noise not a common noise from a bad clutch or throwout/release bearing.

Didn't state it but I was under the impression the noise's point of origin would be nailed down pretty tight.

Once the car on the lift if the noise was found to be coming from someplace other then the clutch/flywheel area (and engine noises at the rear of the car can at first sound like their originating in the clutch/flywheel area) then of course the clutch/flywheel "diagnosis" would have to be reconsidered, thrown out even.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm going to flag it to the service manager to check it out under warranty.

Last night I very slowly actuated the clutch pedal looking for a different feeling in my toes throughout the pedal travel. I did notice a very slight vibration coming back through the pedal at the same frequency as what I heard. Almost as if the clutch throwout bearing was somehow modulating the clutch fork then right though the hydraulics. It's like something in the clutch/flywheel/bearing is out of round, which is scary since I don't even want to think of what kind situation would lead to that...

Quick Reply: 2005 2.7L Engine Noise (mp3 attached)