Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a PPI needed for a 100% dealer serviced Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010 | 11:32 PM
solekid
1st Gear

Default Is a PPI needed for a 100% dealer serviced Boxster?

I found a nice 2001 S that I am considering buying. I suggested a PPI and the owner told me that the dealer would have recommended something be fixed if they saw it, because he said yes to everything they said to him. This car has been properly maintained by the dealer- I have seen the records. The car has 44k on it and it is due for a brake fliud flush since the last one was done in early '08. Also, the front bumper was repainted- very well done, but still repainted. Owner said he was bothered by the road imperfections it had on it. does this detract from the value much? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2010 | 07:30 AM
dallison28
Pro

i would recommend it. never trust what the dealer says.

Take it to an indy to get a fair opinion.
Old 04-24-2010 | 01:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by solekid
I found a nice 2001 S that I am considering buying. I suggested a PPI and the owner told me that the dealer would have recommended something be fixed if they saw it, because he said yes to everything they said to him. This car has been properly maintained by the dealer- I have seen the records. The car has 44k on it and it is due for a brake fliud flush since the last one was done in early '08. Also, the front bumper was repainted- very well done, but still repainted. Owner said he was bothered by the road imperfections it had on it. does this detract from the value much? Thanks.
Well someone posted here not too long ago about looking at a Boxster and had a PPI done and he ended up rejecting the car when his PPI guy removed the oil filter housing and found scary metal stuff in the oil from the housing. Oil was fresh too. Boxster at Porsche dealer.

Get a PPI.

You've checked the car over and it is like you like it and you've found no reason to reject the car so if you think you can make a deal for the car if the PPI comes back ok then have the PPI done.

Resprayed front bumper cover no biggie as long as it done right and the color matches and the bumper cover fits nicely and the headlights fit ok, etc.

Ask the owner where the work was done and visit the shop and ask for detals. How bad was the cover, etc. (How the owner responds to this question will tell you something.)

Some owners are really bothered by any even minor damage from rocks or other stuff hitting the bumper cover.

Just be careful. With a good flashlight look into the radiator ducts. Look for dissimilar amounts of plant/trash in the ducts. Look for different colored AC condensor or radiators. Even if the condensors and radiators same color verify the patina of the condensor/radiator on one side matches the patina of the same components on the other side.

Look at head lights. Are they yellowed/discolored, pitted the same or is one in better condition?

In short, look for any differences side to side, front to back.

If you notice any difference... this could suggest front bumper repainted (possibly after being replaced) due to an accident and if lights different or condensors or radiators different the damage extended into the car some.

Not the end of the world but if you find this out it means the owner misled you and this calls into question whatever else the owner told you regarding the car.

That's troubling and could be reason enough to drop the car right now and not move forward on PPI.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-24-2010 | 09:03 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes! always.

Quick Reply: Is a PPI needed for a 100% dealer serviced Boxster?