Sponsored by:

Boxster and Boxster S cut key issue/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:32 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster and Boxster S cut key issue/question

I have a 2001 Boxster that we built to race. etc. (Rick Deman built it a few years ago)....also a 2004 boxster S racer. sweet cars.

anyway, somewhere along the way we lost one of the 2 factory keys (which are a key & fob /remote combination).

i went to my local pcar dealership, ordered a 2 new keys for the 2001. ouch, the price was ridiculous.. it was just the key.
just the metal cut key (side cut).
it came with a small little weenieend capand they also gave me a bigger end cap so you coudl turn it with your fingers...not remote, no fob. the guy said "fi youre not using the alarm you dont need the remote"

so i put the key in, i turn it, i get power, dash comes on, but right there at the 3'o'clock position where you'd expect to get ignition, nothing. no ticking nothing.

one dude i know who has a BMW said something like, "oh its like my bmw, you have to have the fob/remote"
i sat there and used this new key to turn and held the old fob/key (which works (we only lost 1 of the 2 keys)). ..and that didnt work either.
again, the key goes in, turns a bit "stiff" but turns for sure, power on the dash comes on, but it stops just shy of 3oclock and no ignitiion. i cant tell if its turning all the way, or just poorly cut.
id' think the side cut key, once it turns its going to turn all the way. that it wouldnt turn at all if it were cut wrong.

anyway, figured i'd ask and see if you guys know what might be going on here.

thx in advance.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
I have a 2001 Boxster that we built to race. etc. (Rick Deman built it a few years ago)....also a 2004 boxster S racer. sweet cars.

anyway, somewhere along the way we lost one of the 2 factory keys (which are a key & fob /remote combination).

i went to my local pcar dealership, ordered a 2 new keys for the 2001. ouch, the price was ridiculous.. it was just the key.
just the metal cut key (side cut).
it came with a small little weenieend capand they also gave me a bigger end cap so you coudl turn it with your fingers...not remote, no fob. the guy said "fi youre not using the alarm you dont need the remote"

so i put the key in, i turn it, i get power, dash comes on, but right there at the 3'o'clock position where you'd expect to get ignition, nothing. no ticking nothing.

one dude i know who has a BMW said something like, "oh its like my bmw, you have to have the fob/remote"
i sat there and used this new key to turn and held the old fob/key (which works (we only lost 1 of the 2 keys)). ..and that didnt work either.
again, the key goes in, turns a bit "stiff" but turns for sure, power on the dash comes on, but it stops just shy of 3oclock and no ignitiion. i cant tell if its turning all the way, or just poorly cut.
id' think the side cut key, once it turns its going to turn all the way. that it wouldnt turn at all if it were cut wrong.

anyway, figured i'd ask and see if you guys know what might be going on here.

thx in advance.
Sounds like you got two I guess they're valet keys. A postage stamp size blob of plastic on the end of the key.

No door lock/unlock or trunk lid unlock buttons.

Assuming the key turning all the way to the start position in the ignition lock, my WAG is the key head RFID pill is not recognized by the car's security system.

For a new key to work properly it must be cut to fit the ignition switch but it's RFID pill needs to be 'introduced' to the car's security system. This requires dealer service intervention cause the Porsche computer has to be hooked up and the proper steps taken.

You can't see the RFID pill in the two keys you have. They're in the plastic. If you have one of the other keys with the remote lock buttons you can separate the key head halves and down where the metal key blade locks to the head you'll see a dark glass pill, capsule. You might see some curly wiring in it.

When you insert the key the in-dash security system broadcast's a RF signal that is received by this pill. It energizes the RF circuit in the pill and this circuit transmits a security code back via RF. If the code recognized by the car's security system the engine starts. If not, the key turns and nothing happens.

Check with service manager where you bought the keys and ask him if what I said above is accurate. If it is, ask him if he will have a tech introduce the new key codes to the car's security system. Ask him for a discount. Bring all keys that you have for the car with you. The car's security system only has 4 (or maybe it is 6) key slots. You want to remove old non-functioning keys when you add new working keys to keep the security system from filling up with dead/lost keys.

An indy shop might be able to help you. A Porsche System Tester 2 diagnostics computer is necessary along with the security code to gain access to the car's security system. For this I think you have to go through a Porsche dealer cause it has to contact the factory. Proof of car ownership is required to avoid giving this info out to someone seeking to get around a stolen car's security system.

Do you have any key that will start the engine? It would be nice to be sure the engine starts that the problem is not an ignition switch problem. These have been known to fail and the symptom is the same as described above.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Boxster and Boxster S cut key issue/question