Sponsored by:

From the 911 World, looking at Boxster S

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 AM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default From the 911 World, looking at Boxster S

Greetings,

I am from the 911 world, have a stock 86 targa that I use for the street and some track days. I am loathe to molest my car and it appears that my driving skills have outgrown the car for higher run groups. The car is just too nice and in perfect working condition that I just don't want to push it too far on the track. It has 103k miles on it, but really drives well...no engine or transmission work done...the car is a survivor!

Given budget constraints, I have been pointed to the Boxster S. Pretty open ended questions, but can someone give me some thoughts on the Boxster S as a combo track and street car. Is the stock configuration good for the track (particularly suspension), or (besides tires) are significant mods needed? Looking at the MY2000, any issues with that year? Higher mileage is OK. looking to pay no more than $10-15k...reasonable?

Thanks...

Last edited by RL911; 04-07-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RL911
... it appears that my driving skills have outgrown the car for higher run groups.
Not sure I understand what you mean.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:27 AM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Not sure I understand what you mean.
My 911 doesn't have the suspension to keep up with the newer/modded cars and I don't want to go down the road of replacing the torsion and sway bars because the car will be too stiff for the street. The gear box is also a bit on the tall side (never get out of 4th on the track) and the HP is relatively low (still have stock exhaust). Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and I love it, but without doing significant mods (and potentially ruining it as a street car), I will spend more time with my hand out the window waving people by. The car has bilstein sports all around and 888s and that helps, but it has a lot of roll. Like I said, I want to keep it predominantly as a street car and thought a boxter S might be a good and relatively inexpensive choice for the track.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

I picked up a 2000 S for less than $11k with 70k miles. You will need to do some oiling mods to make it more reliable for track - AOS update, X51 oil pan, and possibly an accusump. A PSS9 suspension would help with front camber plates and an aggressive alignment
Old 04-04-2010, 03:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My 911 doesn't have the suspension to keep up with the newer/modded cars and...................I will spend more time with my hand out the window waving people by.
Sorry to say it, but your problem is not the car. This is the absolute wrong thinking in DE's. There are guys in cars like yours SPANKING the crap out of the modern cars and they don't have a ton of mods either. Insecurity masks ability with this type of thinking.

It's much better to be waving people by than it is to be held up
Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

My 911 doesn't have the suspension to keep up with the newer/modded cars and I don't want to go down the road of replacing the torsion and sway bars because the car will be too stiff for the street. The gear box is also a bit on the tall side (never get out of 4th on the track) and the HP is relatively low (still have stock exhaust). Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and I love it, but without doing significant mods (and potentially ruining it as a street car), I will spend more time with my hand out the window waving people by. The car has bilstein sports all around and 888s and that helps, but it has a lot of roll. Like I said, I want to keep it predominantly as a street car and thought a boxter S might be a good and relatively inexpensive choice for the track.
I understand what you are saying. If you are looking to modify some the Boxster S would be a nice choice for you. It's obviously not the fastest car out there, but properly modified in the hands of a good driver it's quite capable as a track car.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RL911
I would consider professional level coaching (disclosure I am not a coach) way cheaper than buying a car then having to update it. As it happens I pilot a slightly modified boxster-s and they are great fun but I will never have the budget, let alone the talent to buy the newest Cup Porsche offers. That being said someone will always have more grip, power, etc than me. What matters is how much of it can you get down.

Need proof: a professional multi 24hr champion (yup both of them) showed up at an auto-x in his "old" 7 series 4-door sedan and spanked the field. If you want a project a totally different story and enjoy the build.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RL911,
Just posted mine on Ebay. Buy it now comes with track lessons..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140397264149
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Buy it now comes with track lessons..
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

RL911, I was instructing another driver in your run group at NJMP. IMHO you need more seat time and DE level instruction before considering changing cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: From the 911 World, looking at Boxster S