Sponsored by:

OEM Brake Pads and Dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
yamr6
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Brake Pads and Dust

I purchased my '05 Boxster from a dealer who does not usually service Porsche cars. They had installed new brake pads, front and rear but I do not know what kind of pads they installed. I do know that they used Mobil 1 oil for the oil change so I'm hoping they installed the correct pads as well.

I have noticed a lot of brake dust on my front wheels after some spirited back road fun and wondered if the OEM Porsche pads usually produce this kind of brake dust. Seems like an unusual amount to me but not sure if this is typical of stock Porsche pads.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by yamr6
I purchased my '05 Boxster from a dealer who does not usually service Porsche cars. They had installed new brake pads, front and rear but I do not know what kind of pads they installed. I do know that they used Mobil 1 oil for the oil change so I'm hoping they installed the correct pads as well.

I have noticed a lot of brake dust on my front wheels after some spirited back road fun and wondered if the OEM Porsche pads usually produce this kind of brake dust. Seems like an unusual amount to me but not sure if this is typical of stock Porsche pads.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Stock Porsche pads can come from one of several suppliers. My experience is dust production varies. I've had some pads -- the original ones for instance -- produced very little dust but replacement pads -- bought from Porsche dealer -- turned the wheels black in days.

Some have reported using some kind of ceramic like pad that cuts down on the dust, or perhaps just produces a lighter color of dust, but I don't recall any details on this pad.

Me? I just live with dirty wheels between washings.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
yamr6
Cruisin'

Thanks Macster...another excuse to wash my pride and joy every couple days!
Mark
Old 03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Allen K. Littlefield
AutoX

My red brake "issues" light is on so I need new pads and dust is a problem for me. I don't plan on tracking the car so I am looking for a pad with less dust. Has anyone used either Hawk ceramic, Axxis Metal Master or VTX ceramic/metallic with any success?

AKL
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Metal Masters on previous non-Porsche cars, they were fine for regular use. Low dust.

A friend of mine used ATX's and while cheap, he wore them out in only 2x20 minute track sessions. I would use something else.

I use Pagid on my car. Black for street, yellow for track.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice here ;-)
Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just installed pads by a co called Akebono, make in michigan. claim to be dust-free, but we'll se how that goes.

was going to go with Mintex's, but reportedly they squeal alot on Boxsters...
Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used Mintex Red Box on my 01 ever since the original brakes needed to be replaced. They cut the dust by at least 30% and they have never made any noise at all. The original pads had "Brembo" printed on them.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Pat
Advanced

Red Box pads are great if your first priority in a braking system is having clean wheels.
If your first priority in a braking system is stopping well, Red Box is not what you want. Likely worse braking performance than OEM.
What are your priorities?

Quick Reply: OEM Brake Pads and Dust