Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front hood manual pull

Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 PM
otis986
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front hood manual pull

Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area that can help me out? I just got my first Boxster. It's an 02 S and I love it except that I bought it from a pretty long ways away and as soon as I got it home the front hood stopped working (it worked at the dealership). I've searched the forums and know that there is the manual pull chord, I just don't have anywhere to work on my car!

Is there anyone in the LA area that can help me find and move the chord to the side marker? My battery isn't dead so I can drive.

If there is no one around that can help are there any suggestions for good mechanics that will understand what I'm talking about and not charge me an arm and a leg to do this? Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be able to access the hood release via the front wheel well (passenger side on my car).

Instructions here

http://www.986faq.com/7-0/default.asp
Old 03-20-2010, 11:00 PM
otis986
7th Gear

okay, so I found the manual pull (the previous owner slipped it under the headlight so I was able to wrangle it with a hanger). I believe the problem is the actuator. It doesn't pull the complete distance it's supposed to. Anyone know where I can order a new actuator? I saw a post in a forum at pelican where Eli at Pelican said he could probably track one down, but they don't carry them because that's not usually the problem. All other features in my car seem to be working fine, I hear the sound for the actuator, it's just not fully pulling. I unplugged it from both ends then plugged it in to the electrical and it looked like it pulled the entire distance, but when I attached it to the pull cable it once again couldn't pull it the full distance and did not release the lock.

Is there any chance this isn't the actuator being worn down? Is there something else that could have happened that it's getting power but not full power?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
D.C.
Instructor

Just a thought....you have probably already done this but....perhaps a bit of lubricant might help....I always keep a can of WD40 for these types of things.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 PM
otis986
7th Gear

Yea, when I got it open I WD40'd it. It actually was working for a day, but soon crapped out again. It wasn't even strong enough to actuate when I had the top up (I used a screw-driver to re-lock it with the hood still up). It's the actuator. If anyone has done some sort of conversion and has part 996.624.117.01 or knows where I can get one that'd be great.

Also, the only exploded diagram I've found with that part number actually has it as being in the rear of a 987 instead of in front of my 986. Anyone think this was already replaced and they used this 987 part? Someone in a forum on renntech actually recommended this exact part for someone else's front end, but I'm a bit confused. Anyone able to check their 986 (2002 or newer) and see what their part number is?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front hood manual pull