Undoing B&M Short Shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Undoing B&M Short Shift

After driving somebody else's car this weekend I have decided that I really don't like the clunky, hard (and yes, short) throws of my B&M. AFAIK though the little white plastic bushings that you break out to do the install are not sold separately, you have to buy the whole mechanism ($230). I'm pretty sure the aluminum bushings that came with the short shifter are not compatible with the stock lever (which I still have). Any ideas? If I figure this out I'll make somebody a smokin' deal on a clunky shifter.
TIA
Cheers
Randy
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK - I had some success with search after a few tries and I see the bushings are not available. I might be up for a swap if anybody wants a clunky shifter.
Cheers
Randy
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I found that B&M lousy too. Terrible to find it out AFTER the white bushings are destroyed. But, I couldn't be happier now. I went to my local dealer and bought the stock 997 shifter - the whole base and everything. It bolts it, hooks up, and WOW. It's short. It's smooth. The shifter is right in your hand and moves like it was supposed to. It was a whopping $150. I don't know if it is still that price. But it was worth every penny. Heck you can't buy air from the dealer for that much.

If you search this site for the older posts, like years ago, you will find the part number. But, you probably don't need it.

I'm sure there are others. But Suncoast Porsche in Florida at least used to be a good supplier of parts like that to the Porsche public for great prices.

Jay
Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Here you go. The old thread with the part number:

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...t-shifter.html

That said, I see they said "cup" shifter. I'm not sure that's the same one as the stock 997 one that I bought.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a GT3 shifter in the classifieds.... used ones pop up all he time.
Personally, I really like the B&M but I found a used 997 shifter and the B&M is in that so if I tire of it I can go back to stock.

http://https://rennlist.com/forums/f...k-leather.html
Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 AM
rdshon
AutoX

Periodically a 987/997 shifter comes up on eBay for $50-70. It's about 10% shorter throw (fore-aft) than the stock 986/997 shifter, so it's slightly quicker but not high-effort like the B&M (my wife wouldn't drive the car after one stint with the B&M). I like them for the street.

If you want to be weird, try the B&M "Track Shifter" for the 996 Carrera (I think they're discountinued, but you can still find them). It's 3" taller than the stock shifter, but has the same pivots and lower linkage design as the B&M Short Shifter, and since you can't use the modified transmission linkage (works only on 911 transmission setups), the throws are similar to a stock 986/996 shifter. The higher stick works great for the track...

Last edited by rdshon; 03-11-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback - I think I'll see what I can get the 997 item for.
Cheers
Randy
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's all about how well you have the B&M adjusted in my opinion.

I have the kit in both of my cars and I absolutely love it. But, I have driven other cars with the kit that are notchy.

If you don't adjust it right, it's not going to feel right.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

You can swap the stock shifter back in and just use the B&M bushings. I have done this so as to compare the two shifters a few times.

Quick Reply: Undoing B&M Short Shift