Sponsored by:

Painting Brake Calipers (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:23 AM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Brake Calipers (pics)

Posted this in the 987 section, however, I had this same problem with my 986 Boxster when I had it, so I figure it could be useful here as well.

I've always hated the way the calipers looked on the Boxster, so I decided to paint them. I used a Dupli-Color Brake Caliper kit. It includes a brush on epoxy.

I didn't want to take the calipers off, so I just took the pads and all attached hardware off, and did the work with them on the car.

I cleaned the calipers with the solution in the kit. It was in an aerosol can, basicly just brake parts cleaner. You have to take your time with this step. If they are not 100% free of dust, the paint will seperate. This took about an hour.

Next I applied the epoxy. This step took the most time (about 3 hours), as it required many coats. At first it looks really bad, but as the coats go on, it starts to look better. I waited 15 minutes between coats. Seems to work best if you do two calipers at a time.

I let them dry overnite, then I put back the pads and hardware back on. I also applied "PORSCHE" decals I purchased on ebay ($6).

And here they are with the wheels back on:

I've put about 5k miles on them since, and they still look great (I do wipe them down every time I wash the car). Here's a recent picture:

Last edited by bill930p; 03-20-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW...I changed the brake pads to EBC Reds. They throw hardly any dush and perform better then the stock pads. They also matched the red calipers.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Moneyshift
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That came out really well. Almost makes me want to shortcut the trouble of powdercoating mine.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Rojerlockless
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice, I'm glad the Boxster S already has red calipers though hehe

Quick Reply: Painting Brake Calipers (pics)