Sponsored by:

Taking out short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking out short shifter

I think I'm going to take out my B&M short shifter. The problem is that to put it in, despite all attempts not to, the original end caps/bushings had to be cut and destroyed. It used to be that those bushings could not be purchased separately from Porsche. Anyone know if they can be obtained now?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

They cannot.

However, you can get an entire replacement shift console from Sunset for about $140. Not bad.

Sell your console with the B+M installed and let some masochist fight with it for a while.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can wait a month or so I am getting a boxster and was going to put a short shift in. I will swap you if you are interested?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Sure, I'd be interested. But, I don't know which one of us is going to be down a car while the parts ship back and forth! And also, don't say that John and I didn't warn you! (This is an official B&M shifter).
Old 03-22-2008, 05:00 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

I dont mind being down since I will be tearing the whole car apart and putting a cage etc in it. I will let you know when the car gets here
Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Just an update. I have a new shifter on its way. So, I should have the short shifter and able to send it to you in a week or two.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Jay,
Was doing to disassembly today and I dont think the shifter in the car is worth it. The bushing are pretty worn out. I think you can get replacement bushings thru porshce motorsports for the cup shifter. I have a call into them today to see if this is correct.

Let me know on the short shifter

Chris
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
jmatta
AutoX

I don't understand the criticism of the B&M short shifter. I have installed one in my '02 S and love it. If properly installed, it is a huge improvement over the factory long throw. In fact, when I drive other's cars with the factory set-up, I always recommend to the owner that they consider installing a short shift. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I could only wish my 911 would shift like this!!! I also assume you wouldn't appreciate driving a GT3, because the feel is similar.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

It's love or hate. Mine was properly installed and adjusted and I just couldn't tolerate it. Obviously Jay feels the same way. The shifts were way too short and way too high-effort. It was impossible to find third gear repeatably with the B+M. When the transmission was cold, I sometimes couldn't even get it into second gear.

The factory shifter is a pretty long throw, but as I learned recently there is an alternative. I installed a 997 GT3 factory Porsche shifter in a friend's Boxster. It comes as an entire shift console for about $150-160 shipped. It's a bit shorter than stock but nowhere near as short or stiff as the B+M. It removes all of the slop from the factory setup.

I installed a new stock shift housing in my car and will never go back to the B+M.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shifts were way too short and way too high-effort. It was impossible to find third gear repeatably with the B+M. When the transmission was cold, I sometimes couldn't even get it into second gear.
Boy, you hit the nail on the head with those comments. My spec car has one in it & I can tell you after racing a 996 cup for three years, the B&M feels like/is a total POSI have a cup shifter going in mine as we speak. One weekend with the B&M was more then enough!

PS: & I can guarantee you that w/prolonged use in a race environment, the B&M shifted tranny will wear out synchros faster. The short throw makes the shifts too fast so the syncs don't have time to spool up properly.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Yep. Everyone else is summing it up. It was fine when fully warmed up, not at all good when cold - and we're talking So. Cal. mornings, not Chicago cold. It really called for full arm shifting, never just a shift with the wrist. Mine is a 2000 Boxster S with 6 speed. Maybe it works better with some other cars. And, yes, I too am very confident the B&M was installed properly. Of course everyone is different. That's what makes the world go around. And to be clear, I love heavy force in all sorts of things. This one just wasn't right to me.

I just installed the 997 shifter in my Boxster. It is awesome! It is definitely shorter than stock, a little firmer, but smooth as silk. It makes me realize just how nice leverage is. It is so smooth now, I'd be willing to bet that I shift faster with it than with that short shifter.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:26 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Andy T hooked me up with his cup shifter so we will be just like Jay my hero!!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Wow.... the idea of the 997 GT3 shifter for $160 seems like a freaking home run!

I really have to invesigate that one.

Does it ship with a shift linkage that is more solid then the plastic link that is there stock?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:25 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...so we will be just like Jay my hero!!
Whatever......wise ***. Your dad is my hero! That's what I'm aiming for when I grow up
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Yeah mine too....everyone needs 8 porsche's including 3 cups....what a under rough life I have lead..

Quick Reply: Taking out short shifter