System Fault - Visit Worksop, with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
yamr6
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Fault - Visit Worksop, with a twist

Hi All,
Great Forum...thanks very much for providing this resource!
I just purchased an '05 Boxster with 50K miles and I'm loving it. I have read all the information on this forum concerning the "System Fault - Visit Workshop" error on the computer but I had a bit of a different situation.

After a bit of spirited backroad fun last weekend, I pulled to a stop and the error occured on the computer. At the same time, both the driver's and passenger's power windows stopped working. I tried the windows several times and finally they both started working again. At that time, the error cleared automatically (I did not turn the car off). Everything seems fine now but I'm concerned about the error.

Everything I read on this error points to the front trunk latch solonoid but I'm wondering if the fact that my windows stopped working for a bit means I have a different problem. I would also like to note that the front trunk luggage light has not worked since I got the car and it is not the bulb (I replaced that).

Any help will be appreciated....thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Because of your front trunk light not working, i would track that down first.
Should be an easy fix.
When you open the hood you will have to take apart some of the trim to get to the microswitch. Once you locate the switch, bypass it with a wire so you have a solid connection. Your trunk light should come on.
This would be the first thing i would do. Come back here is this doesn't work.
Then we move on to testing power at the fuse box.

Microswitch is part # 997.613.206.00
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
yamr6
Cruisin'

Thanks Seafeye...I'm going to give the dealer a chance at this first as I have an extended warranty with them (at least for 7,500 miles). From past experience, I know extended warranties are marginal on coverage on things like this but the price was right (free Motor Trend vehicle warranty was part of the deal).

I was just curious if anyone had any other ideas with regard to the windows being part of the problem so I could point the dealer in the right direction.

I really appreciate your post and will give it a try if the dealer won't touch this.
Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by yamr6
Hi All,
Great Forum...thanks very much for providing this resource!
I just purchased an '05 Boxster with 50K miles and I'm loving it. I have read all the information on this forum concerning the "System Fault - Visit Workshop" error on the computer but I had a bit of a different situation.

After a bit of spirited backroad fun last weekend, I pulled to a stop and the error occured on the computer. At the same time, both the driver's and passenger's power windows stopped working. I tried the windows several times and finally they both started working again. At that time, the error cleared automatically (I did not turn the car off). Everything seems fine now but I'm concerned about the error.

Everything I read on this error points to the front trunk latch solonoid but I'm wondering if the fact that my windows stopped working for a bit means I have a different problem. I would also like to note that the front trunk luggage light has not worked since I got the car and it is not the bulb (I replaced that).

Any help will be appreciated....thanks!
My advice would be to get the front trunk latch solenoid fixed to eliminate the possibility there's some connection.

Next I have read -- never experienced myself thank goodness -- that water in one or both doors can cause electrical gremlins that at first confine themselves to the door locks, windows but later can appear at other areas of the car.

Give the doors a good shake and listen for any sounds of water in the doors. At the same time check for any signs of dampness anywhere in the cabin concentrating on the areas under/around the bottom of the doors and the lowest areas of the cabin and under the seats, especially the driver's seat where some electronic control module exists.

While you're at it with the front trunk open remove the plastic cowl covers and check the front water drains are clear then raise the top enough the clamshell is open fully and check the water drains on either side of the back of the top to be sure they're clear. These drains can plug up from plant debris that collects in them and water from rain or snow melt or even washing the car can collect in these basins and overflow into the cabin and from which odd electrical problems can arise.

Lastly, I do not know the history of the car but odd electrical gremlims with no other obvious causes can be the signs of past or even current rodent infestation.

A thorough examination of the car's interior spaces for any signs of rodents is called for. Of course if any signs found then the damage they have caused will have to be searched out and repaired. This can be a big job cause most of the time it involves a wiring harness and these require considerable gutting of the car to access.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 PM
yamr6
Cruisin'

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this forum but wanted to say "thanks" to Macster for the reply...I'll be checking the mentioned areas and taking it up with the dealer depending on what I find. Thanks again for a great forum!
Mark
Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yamr6,

Just found your post because I had the same message pop up on my display this morning. In my case I was simply waxing the car with the front trunk open. I had been waxing around the front of the car and suddenly without touching anything (other than the paint) the security alarm started going off (flashing lights, no horn). I've also noticed my front trunk light hasn't been coming on for the past couple of months.

From what I've read here I'm guessing it's the microswitch. In my case it probably decided to make contact an hour after I'd opened the hood. What does amaze me is that Porsche went to the trouble to add fault feedback for something as small as a front trunk switch/solenoid.

I'm going to head out there right now and will try some of the suggestions and come back with results.

BTW, did you ever fix this issue? I see your last post was in Feb.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Well, I just checked out the microswitch in the latch mechanism and after cleaning, it's working fine.

I think the fault is with the primary solenoid, which I believe is the one just off to the left of the latch (if you're looking toward the back of the car). I'm guessing the only reason the front lid opens at all is because the secondary emergency solenoid is being used to open the front latch.

I washed the car yesterday and didn't drive afterwards, the water must have made its way into the primary solenoid... Off to use my certified warranty...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
yamr6
Cruisin'

I have not yet worked the front trunk latch issue. I have not had any other faults on the computer since the day I got the original message so...have not worried about it thus far. I DID notice the front trunk was open yesterday when I went into the garage...don't know if I accidently hit the button on the key while in my pocket at some point or if it opened on it's own. Will see what happens next...thanks for post and good luck!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

For what its worth at this point, I noticed that the "!" symbol on the dash will go away if I turn on the left or right turn signal. Shortly after the signal is cancelled the "!" symbol pops up again. To make matters stranger, the rear tail lights are on whenever the "!" is on, no matter what the headlamp position is.

I've read some other posts here on Rennlist that this issue pops up frequently after people wax near or around the front headlights due to static electricity. Mostly 05's and early 06's I take it.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Confirmed with the dealership yesterday that it is the front control module. They will be replacing it tomorrow under warranty.

Quick Reply: System Fault - Visit Worksop, with a twist