The clutch pedal clicks

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:43 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default The clutch pedal clicks

Hi friends,

I can hear a small "click" when I press the clutch pedal to the max. It is coming from under the pedal and I believe it is to prevent starting the car without pressing the clutch.

Any idea what that is? Does your clutch clicks as well?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by _Remi
Hi friends,

I can hear a small "click" when I press the clutch pedal to the max. It is coming from under the pedal and I believe it is to prevent starting the car without pressing the clutch.

Any idea what that is? Does your clutch clicks as well?

Thanks!
The noise can be the clutch interlock switch that is intended to prevent the engine from starting unless the clutch fully depressed.

I've replaced the one on my car along with the brake light switch (worn out) and the cruise control cut off switch that disables cruise when the clutch pedal depressed.

Only the brake light switch worn out, but since all switches original I went ahead and had them all replaced when I had the car in for something else. Took the tech just a few minutes and I don't think I was charged for the labor though I was charged for the parts. I of course paid the labor charge for what the car was in for: new tires/alignment IIRC.

Or the noise can be something in the clutch pedal linkage. You have to get down and listen and work the clutch pedal by hand or have a friend, small friend with long legs, work the pedal while you listen. There are a few points that can be treated to a light application of some suitable lube that can quiet the linkage down if the noise coming from the linkage under the dash.

If the noise coming from the linkage that is along side the tranny or inside the bellhousing you'll have to live with it unless you want to pay some big money to have the clutch assembly and associated linkage fixed. (Essentially get a clutch job.)

My 02 Boxster is on its original clutch and has over 230K miles and the clutch makes a bit of noise but I can't hear it most of the time even if the engine off and given how much it would cost to buy a few decibels of quiet... no thanks.

But it depends somewhat upon how loud the noise is. The noise could be a sig of something more serious about to go wrong so you'll need to get up close and observe/listen while the clutch pedal depressed/released or have someone look into this for you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

For what it's worth I have the same click on my 01' Boxster

Quick Reply: The clutch pedal clicks