Sponsored by:

clutch feel

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Default clutch feel

My 2000 Boxster S has an interesting clutch feel. There is no play when fully out (my foot off the pedal). There is immediate pressure before I depress for shifting.

Everything appears to work perfectly, and the car has only 25,000 miles, but my experience with other clutches is that there should be some play or else the throw-out bearing will be constantly loaded.

How do your S clutches feel?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
My 2000 Boxster S has an interesting clutch feel. There is no play when fully out (my foot off the pedal). There is immediate pressure before I depress for shifting.

Everything appears to work perfectly, and the car has only 25,000 miles, but my experience with other clutches is that there should be some play or else the throw-out bearing will be constantly loaded.

How do your S clutches feel?
Normal. Clutch pedal has a pretty hefty return spring that keeps any free play out of the pedal.

In fact, without the spring, the clutch pedal and arm weight could generate enough hydraulic pressure to apply some slight pressure on the throwout/release bearing all the time.

The clutch hydraulic system is shared with the brakes. Be sure the brake fluid is fresh and properly bled and the last thing flushed/bled is the clutch slave cylinder.

A properly flushed/bled brake hydraulic system including the clutch slave cylinder can make a big difference in clutch feel and performance. (Helps prolong brake hardware life too...)

"only 25,000 miles" is of no real concern regarding fluid condition. Fluid should be changed every 2 years.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Normal. Clutch pedal has a pretty hefty return spring that keeps any free play out of the pedal.

In fact, without the spring, the clutch pedal and arm weight could generate enough hydraulic pressure to apply some slight pressure on the throwout/release bearing all the time.

The clutch hydraulic system is shared with the brakes. Be sure the brake fluid is fresh and properly bled and the last thing flushed/bled is the clutch slave cylinder.

A properly flushed/bled brake hydraulic system including the clutch slave cylinder can make a big difference in clutch feel and performance. (Helps prolong brake hardware life too...)

"only 25,000 miles" is of no real concern regarding fluid condition. Fluid should be changed every 2 years.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Macster, do you have any reservations about using the brake fluid that most track people use (ATE) for the street?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Macster, do you have any reservations about using the brake fluid that most track people use (ATE) for the street?
If I interpret the question correctly: I have no reservations about anyone using a quality brake fluid that meets whatever specifications/requirements Porsche sets forth for these cars.

If someone wants to use a "racing" brake fluid the street that's his business. It just wants to be a fluid that at least meets Porsche's requirements for brake fluid.

The important thing is to use a correct, proper and suitable fluid and change it every 2 years (or more often if usage requires it).

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: clutch feel