Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Exhaust System??

Old 11-23-2009, 09:43 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport Exhaust System??

How does this option work? Like the '70 GTO Judge package...where the switch opens the exhaust? (LOL) Or is is an electronic gimmick that "makes" noise. Am I better off skipping this option and going after market to add noise and a couple more HP?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the switch operates electronic valves that allow a portion of the exhaust output to bypass the first chamber or two of the muffler, thus making it a bit louder.

Almost any aftermarket exhaust that you add for sound will have some level of resonance, and if that is not desired, the sport exhaust is the only way to fly from what I have read/been told.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) on my 2000 Boxster S. The PO installed it and did not hook up the valves. If the valves are not connected the exhaust is always in "loud" mode which is fine since even in loud mode it isn't really loud. The valves are there to make the exhaust quieter when at lower RPM. I like my PSE, and there is zero resonance, but it is expensive.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the poor mans alternative

Costs about $300.00 to have someone fabricate and install.
Darin Fister in Brentwood CA has a shop doing these modifications.
Sounds great. No resonance. Inexpensive alternative to PSE.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Carmin
Rennlist Member

I bought my 08S off the lot and it has PSE. While it satisfied my curiosity about this option (my 99 base did not have it) and it does sound a bit better with PSE on, in my opinion it is not worth the price. So, a good question might be what would I pay for it? It costs $2,500; I think it is worth about $500 - $800. Keep in mind, the car sounds great at high rpms w/o it.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:07 AM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the poor mans PSE as well. I paid less than $300 and pickup up a used S muffler off of ebay. It is the best thing I have done. 1.5" bypass pipes sound great and are not really noticeable until 3500+ rpm.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by texasviany
Am I better off skipping this option and going after market to add noise and a couple more HP?

Thanks
If you are looking for something louder, then get an aftermarket. If you're looking for something to give you "a couple more HP", then look for something other than an exhaust since that just serious BS when they tell you that you get 15 hp (or something crazy).

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
I have the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) on my 2000 Boxster S. The PO installed it and did not hook up the valves. If the valves are not connected the exhaust is always in "loud" mode which is fine since even in loud mode it isn't really loud. The valves are there to make the exhaust quieter when at lower RPM. I like my PSE, and there is zero resonance, but it is expensive.
+1 the "loud" isn't really loud while inside the car or near the car. BUT, if you are a bit further away from the car, the exhaust sounds louder. This is because low frequencies are heard farther away than close by. My wife knows I'm coming home when I'm about 1 block away from the house.

Overall, the "Stromung" exhaust that I had on my E36 M3 was the sweetest exhaust ever for me... And I've owned a few brands and heard a lot also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust System??