Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming a key head to the Immobilizer procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 AM
obersturm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming a key head to the Immobilizer procedure?

Hi all,

I searched for half an hour to find definte answers for my qustions:

- What is the procedure to programm a key head to the Immobilizer?

- Can used key heads be programmed or learned into the cars computer and what device is used to do so (without having the bar code thats supplied with brand new ones)?

Any help or pointers are highly appreciated.
The technicians in Down Under don't seem to know what the deal is (I am getting all sorts of weird answers....)

Thanks and best regards

Martin

porscheboxterkeythreebutton.jpg?t=1253183236

Last edited by obersturm; 09-17-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: additonal info
Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You must have the bar code and the dealer needs to perform this task.

Best.
Marc
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
obersturm
Instructor

Hi Marc,

so there is no way a key bought on Ebay can be programmed to work in any way?

Best regards

Martin
Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

It can only be programmed by the dealer. I just bought one from ebay and had to have the dealer program it. $125 US.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:36 AM
obersturm
Instructor

Hi Frank,

that is interesting.
Tell me more: did you have the card with the barcode on it or was it a used key that the dealer learned into the cars computer?

If that is the case, please give me your dealers contact information so I can get in touch with them....

Thanks and best regards

Martin
Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The key can be programmed to run the car without the bar code, however the remote functions can only be coded to the car if the key comes with the original bar code number. In addition to the key and the bar code number you need a PIWIS or PST2 and the learning code for your car.

-Todd
Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Martin,
What Todd said. The PIWIS or PST2 are dealer computer code reader/programming tools. I think an independent can rent one of these for $5k+US with more $$ needed for software upgrades. The dealer can get your car code by entering the serial number into the Porsche data base. I do not think the dealer can program a remote without the bar code for that head. The two heads that are pictured in your original post have the needed codes attached.

Below is an excerpt from a post on Renntech;
"Durametric, while an absolutely awesome tool (I have one and recommend it to most DIYers), only reads codes and can give actual values, and let you clear check engine lights and some other things. It is a very good diagnostic tool. It will not let you program the DME, however. The enthusiast version cost less that 300 USD.

PIWIS is the latest version of the Porsche tester, which I understand is only available by lease to Porsche shops and independents and runs 5 figures, plus yearly updates. A PIWIS does everything, including allowing you to make changes to the DME. The PST2 is the PIWIS predecessor, but will not work with 9x7s."
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 PM
obersturm
Instructor

Hi all,

thanks for the info.
In summary:
There is a way to get the key working to start the car, but not the remote function?

Only the remote function needs the barcode?

Do I understand this correctly.

Best regards

Martin
Old 09-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by obersturm
Hi all,

thanks for the info.
In summary:
There is a way to get the key working to start the car, but not the remote function?

Only the remote function needs the barcode?

Do I understand this correctly.

Best regards

Martin
If the new key's blade is cut to fit the ignition lock the key module can be separated and the RFID pill removed and replaced with one from a key that starts the engine.

However, the new key's button functions will not have any effect on the car's subsystems cause the key button electronic RF signatures are not recognized by the car's security system.

There are a limited number of slots for keys in the car's security system. If one wants to replace an old key with a new one my info is the old key is needed to remove it from the security system to free up a slot for the new replacement key.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

As I stated above, if you have the cars learning code, the key, more specifically, the RFID pill can be matched to the immobilzer to run the car. Without the bar code tag the remote functions cannot be programmed to be recognized by the immobilzer.

-Todd
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
porman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obersturm
Hi Marc,

so there is no way a key bought on Ebay can be programmed to work in any way?

Best regards

Martin
The only way anyone, dealer included, can program that key is if they have the 24 digit key code located on the paper fob attached to the key head...then you'll need the PST2 or PIWIS to program..that's it there isn't another way I can think of..sorry
Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I just had my 986S reprogrammed for two keys. One, I had the barcode for, the other I didn't. Tech said the car has enough slots to program 5 keys.

Barcode key: remote works, key opens door, key starts car.
Non-barcode key: remote does not work, key opens door, key starts car. You should be able to do this with an ebay key.

Be prepared to be gouged, though: stealership charged $180 for the programming New key (w/barcode) will run ~$120 from Sunset.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I just had my 986S reprogrammed for two keys. One, I had the barcode for, the other I didn't. Tech said the car has enough slots to program 5 keys.

Barcode key: remote works, key opens door, key starts car.
Non-barcode key: remote does not work, key opens door, key starts car. You should be able to do this with an ebay key.

Be prepared to be gouged, though: stealership charged $180 for the programming New key (w/barcode) will run ~$120 from Sunset.
Sounds like they disabled your immobilizer. Not sure how they would be able to pair an unknown key to it.

Quick Reply: Programming a key head to the Immobilizer procedure?