Sponsored by:

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 PM
tedcoleman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for advice

Ho folks, I'm new to this site and I have found a 2000 Boxter S with about 55K. I live in Canada, and would need to import this car from Michigan so I would arrange an independant inspection. My question though is what is am IMS? O see this as an issue related to engine failure. Is this something that would have been changed out under warranty or recall? Is this something that can be checked prior to purchase?
Any advise is appreciated by this rookie.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

The IMS or intermediate shaft is supported at its end by a bearing. IF this bearing or the end bolt fails the IMS is damaged which can lead to catastrophic internal motor damage. I don't think they have been replacing or updating this part under warranty but I could be wrong. During a PPI the tech can look for oil seepage in the area around the RMS (rear main seal) but it will be difficult determine precisely where the oil is coming from as the IMS and the RMS are in next to each other and they can't be seen without separating the motor and transmission. There are updated IMS carriers, bolts & bearings that can be installed as a preventative measure and some install them during clutch and or RMS work.

Flat 6 Innovations and LN Engineering produce aftermarket parts for this area and have a pretty extensive write up on their websites.

Mike Focke has a good online Boxster “Buyers Guide” that gives you more background on areas to look at as well as a compilation of articles that cover Boxsters.
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/bu...97-2004boxster

And if you haven’t already found information on importing cars from the US this website will be useful http://www.riv.ca/ . I’ve heard that Porsche Cars North America has recently been cutting back on issuing “Letters of Compliance” required to import and register imported cars and that importers now need to go through Canadian Porsche dealers who are charging ~$1200.00 for this document as well as requiring that safety inspections any conversion work also be done at dealerships. If you are buying from a US Porsche dealer be sure to include the Letter of Compliance as part of the deal.

For recommendations on a Porsche tech in Michigan you may want to ask on the 996 forum as they seem to have more traffic, and one of the members there may be able to point you in the right direction.

Rennlist has a Canadian owners forum that has lots of info on importing as well as local chit chat.

Good luck with your new purchase.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
tedcoleman
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info. I actually found the info on the LN website and have a better understanding of the problem and solution. All this info makes one very wary about buying this car, especially with a predicted 10% failure rate.
I'll do a little more research about importing based on you tips about the compliance letter, especially since this will be a private deal if it happens.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tedcoleman
Ho folks, I'm new to this site and I have found a 2000 Boxter S with about 55K. I live in Canada, and would need to import this car from Michigan so I would arrange an independant inspection. My question though is what is am IMS? O see this as an issue related to engine failure. Is this something that would have been changed out under warranty or recall? Is this something that can be checked prior to purchase?
Any advise is appreciated by this rookie.
If you don't get answer here visit www.ppbb.com and post question. There have been a couple of Canadians who've recently gone through this process and can I bet offer you some recent direct experience.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice