Sponsored by:

to blow or not to blow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM
mytoy986
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to blow or not to blow.

hears a wierd one for you all. I have a 1998 2.5 986. the horn button has gotten soooo sensitive, it blows with just a VERY light touch. Sometimes it gets so sensitive that all I need to do is brake, and it goes off. I'm considering removing the airbag, and looking at the connecters. hopefully they ust need to be re set. My other option would be to finally get my hands on a 3 spoke wheel, and airbag, and hope it will solve the problem.
My question is..... are the horn contacts behind the horn pad part of the clock spring, or can they be delt with on their own.

And while I'm t id, does anyone have a three spoke wheel in black with or without the airbag?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Please disconnect the battery before you do anything airbag related.
You can use an allen wrench to go behind the wheel to remove the two bolts that hold on the airbag. Then pull apart the connection.
You will see inside your steering wheel the bracket that holds on the airbag. Push it and you will see how the horn works.
You can do several things.
Go to Porsche and find a replacement braket. Used to be $80 now discontinued. Expect to pay a lot. or
Go to home depot and get some small rubber grommets and put those in the 4 corners. Put everything back in place and your horn will be tight again.
Or:

Get a 3 spoke wheel and bag. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before working on this. You won't look good with a screwdriver sticking out of your eye.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look here for a DIY write-up for the repair.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728
As mentioned above, you'll need to disconnect your battery and do NOT have your key in the ignition or you will get an air bag malfunction light that can only be turned off by the dealer or someone with a Durametric code/fault reader. You will also need your radio security code to unlock it once you've hooked the battery back up.
A small clarification, the screws in the back of the steering wheel take a torx driver (T30 IIRC) not an allen wrench.

Quick Reply: to blow or not to blow.