Sponsored by:

Relocating the horn button to the dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Relocating the horn button to the dash

About a month ago I installed my very cool (and functional) Momo steering wheel. While this wheel does have a horn button, I could not figure out any way to utilize the stock wiring. It should be noted that when I removed my old stock steering wheel that I needed to remove (and hence destroy) the spindle wiring which carries the wiring for the airbag and horn.

So, I scoped out a perfect place on the dash for the horn button namely the ‘mirror image’ spot of the ciggy lighter (presumably used on cars with RHD). I bought a small pulse on/off button from Radio Shack (a few bucks).

I removed the steering wheel and then the top piece of plastic covering the steering column (2 Torx screws and 4 philips screws). There are 4 wires running together. The two brown wires are the circuit for the horn. I had an extremely difficult time stripping these wires as they tended to break before stripping. I’m guessing this is a result of the age of the car.

I then connected crimp connectors to the two brown wires behind the wheel. To route the wiring through the dash I did the following. I passed a speaker wire down through the steering column until it came out in the footwell and behind the dash. I then passed a second speaker wire through the hole in the dash where the horn was to be transplanted (the plastic trim simply snaps out). I then tied the wires togther and pulled it through. I hooked up the wires to the connectors. I then drilled out the dash trim hole until it was just the right size to accept the Radio Shack ****. Hooked it all up and it works like a charm. The button looks like its always been there. I want to find a small trumpet icon to put on the button to complete the project.

Here are some pics….

This is where the Torx screws are holding the column trim on:

Access the two brown wires:

Run a wire through the dash as shown (done by running a wire ‘down’ each hole then tying them together and pulling through):

Drill out part of the dash trim and secure the horn button:

Connect it up and shove it back in !!!!!!!

Last edited by Coochas; 05-21-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa... nice job!

Quick Reply: Relocating the horn button to the dash