Boxster purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by MrClifton
Thank you. I am picking it up at 5:00. I will post the codes if I can not figure it out.
Sounds like you're getting one heck of a deal. Best of luck with your new car. Oh, and don't forget to post some photos!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:56 PM
centerisl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>> Thank you. I am picking it up at 5:00. I will post the codes if I can not figure it out.

I'm not sure what "picking it up" means, but it's a universal recommendation to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done on one of these cars. The _potential_ repair costs could exceed the purchase price!

If you haven't already, you really should read Mike Focke's tips on buying a used 986:
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mi...oxsterwebpages
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
jjanari
Cruisin'

As a more concrete point of reference, but off topic, I picked up an '02 base boxster this past february (in Atlanta) for $10.5. 90k miles and overall decent cosmetic condition. However, in the past few months of ownership, I've spent between $1250 to $1750 in parts alone (I do a lot of my own work) to get it in proper condition. I did get a PPI, so I new most of the stuff that needed to be done. Nevertheless, it's been posted on numerous boards that there really is no such thing as a $10,000.00 porsche! Regardless, good luck on the purchase, but make sure to get a PPI.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 PM
centerisl
Track Day

So MrClifton? How'd the bargain Boxster turn out?

I'm in the software business - where we have "free" open source software - and I just flashed on the phrase "yeah, free like a puppy!" <grin>
Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
glenndeweirdt
2nd Gear

Hello,
New to Rennlist. I have been a Pelican BBS guy until I picked up my first Boxster this weekend, but the Pelican BBS is weak on Boxsters.

I was looking in the Chicago area for a sub $15K Boxster. They are out there but the closer you get to $10K the rougher they are. Multi-owners, no service history, teenage owners, obvious repaints, funny sounds, funny smells, etc.

I ended up with a nice '03 ($59,000 list price)with 23K miles and CPO from the local Porsche dealership for under $24K. More than I wanted to spend but I can sleep at night with the warranty.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by glenndeweirdt
Hello,
New to Rennlist. I have been a Pelican BBS guy until I picked up my first Boxster this weekend, but the Pelican BBS is weak on Boxsters.

I was looking in the Chicago area for a sub $15K Boxster. They are out there but the closer you get to $10K the rougher they are. Multi-owners, no service history, teenage owners, obvious repaints, funny sounds, funny smells, etc.

I ended up with a nice '03 ($59,000 list price)with 23K miles and CPO from the local Porsche dealership for under $24K. More than I wanted to spend but I can sleep at night with the warranty.
Sounds like a nice 986. Welcome to RL.

Quick Reply: Boxster purchase