Sponsored by:

Boxster purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
MrClifton
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Boxster purchase

With Boxster prices under $10,000 now for a well equipped 2000 I was wondering which options to look for. I am new to the Boxster world and do not know about the “Sport” options and the “leather options” and whatnot. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks, Neil
Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heated seats are really nice on a cool morning and extend the "top-down" season a little bit.

Sport exhaust has a nicer sound to it that the base, although if you are mechanical at all there are simple ways to modify the base exhaust and make it sound like the sport.

I've always thought the Porsche PCM Navigation system would have been nice to have, but I won't pay 2 or 3 grand to have it - my Garmin works just fine.

Don't worry too much about which sound system is in it - your more than likely going to upgrade it anyway - we all do.....

Most of the common options are more cosmetic than performance based.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
gallileo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you finding 2000s for under 10k? I've been looking for months for the right car and even 97's are listing for ~13k, unless they are in absolutely horrible condition.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
MrClifton
Instructor

It depends where you live I guess. There are 165 on Craigslist in my area and everyone is broke in this economy. Cash gets you a great deal on a low mileage luxury item. Now is not the time to pay retail for anything. You just have to be nice about it. What someone is willing to pay is the market not the asking price. I have seen 2002 65,000 mile cars at $12,000 sit for 8 months. That guy emailed me and will sell for $10,500. That was after just one conversation.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrClifton
With Boxster prices under $10,000 now for a well equipped 2000 I was wondering which options to look for. I am new to the Boxster world and do not know about the “Sport” options and the “leather options” and whatnot. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks, Neil
I'm not sure where you see '00 986 prices for "well equipped" models at less than $10K. I just search e-bay motors and I could not find a single 2000 model with a "buy it now" price in the country that low.

While you may find a few during a dedicated search, I would caution you to take a real hard look at those cars prior to purchase. There is undoubtably a reason they are priced that low.

If you really need to stay under $10k, you may be better off looking for a well maintained 2.5 rather than a ragged 2.7.

Here is a good source for option code info

http://www.986faq.com/4-0/default.asp

Good Luck....
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

It depends where you live I guess. There are 165 on Craigslist in my area and everyone is broke in this economy.
Wow, 165 under $10k!!

I just search Craigslist in Chicago and I couldn't find a single Boxster listed below $10k.

Where do you live?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

The "Sport" package was 17" wheels(16” were standard), rear wind-stop, cruise control, alarm with remote door locks , and I think a CD player including door speakers and a trunk mounted amp.

"Sport Touring" included the above plus on-board computer, and aluminum shift **** and interior color shift boot, aluminum door sills, trunk mounted CD changer.

The "Rigidly Tuned Suspension" option was really the only true sport suspension option above the standard suspension & IIRC it included the US M030 package.

Most of these items are also available without a package and most Boxsters were ordered with 17” or 18” wheels instead of the standard 16”s, so you may not be able to determine what package a particular car has w/o checking its option sticker located under the front hood.

The standard “Partial Leather” interior has leather on the seat surface (not sides or backs) the optional “Full Leather Package” has leather seats (all surfaces), leather door panels, and leather dash. A good example of the Full leather interior option was the special Boxster red leather. If I’m not mistaken everything that is red, with the exception of the carpet, is leather. Some interior colors were available in either Partial leather and full leather, while others were only available in Full Leather like “Boxster Red”.

There is also optional “Natural Leather” that is a higher grade of leather than the standard.

In addition to the Full leather package, you could also get extended leather options that put leather on surfaces that were typically black plastic. Center console, air vents, A pillars, steering column, basically anything is possible.

A quick way to determine if you are looking at a photo of partial or full leather interior is to look at the door panels. Full leather will have a visible line of horizontal stitching while the partial leather interiors have leatherette door panels with no stitching.

Good luck on your search and make sure to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection before you buy.

Here is a good Buyers Guide.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/bu...97-2004boxster
Old 05-15-2009, 03:28 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

As others have said you may be a bit optimistic on the pricing. I did a quick nationwide search on cars.com, and of the over 500, 2000 and newer Boxsters only one had an “asking” price of $10k or less, and that particular example has over 100k miles. But as you pointed out now is not the time to be paying full asking prices. Just make sure your getting a solid example, as repairs can add up quickly.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM
MrClifton
Instructor

I did not mean to claim that there were 165 under $10,000. I said there were 165 for sale. I don’t want to post a topic hurting anyone’s feelings I was just pointing out that now is a good time to buy a Boxster. There are several that can be bought for that price I promise you. If someone wants to pay retail right now that is your right. I will search for an owner with a problem- not a car. I don’t mean to rub anyone the wrong way I am just being practical. Ray S, thank you for the link I will check it out.

1999 Porsche Boxster Sport ** Low Miles ** This Week End Only ** Call - $9988 (san leandro)

This car has 80,000 miles and looks like it was garaged. I have only been shopping a few weeks. The deals are out there.

Last edited by MrClifton; 05-15-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Ad on to post
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 PM
MrClifton
Instructor

I found a clean 2001 Base Boxster that the owner will sell for $9500. Could someone please post a link to the available options for 2001? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I found a clean 2001 Base Boxster that the owner will sell for $9500. Could someone please post a link to the available options for 2001? Thanks.
What, getting a Boxster for $9500 isn't good enough? You have to know what the options are? Is this for real?

If the car is in good shape, who the he** cares what the options are. Just buy it! No, really, buy it.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

The options on that car are listed on a sticker under the front hood. If you write down the option codes (generally three digit codes) you can find out the options on that car.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
centerisl
Track Day

Actually, he wants to know what the _possible_ options are, and that seems even more pointless. Wading through a list of option codes for the various metallic paints, matching seatbelts and interior bits...I guess that could be interesting, but I don't see how that would help make a meaningful decision.

The common options are obvious, even from photos: Litronics (just look at the headlights!), Bose (the stereo says Bose and there's a whacky looking speaker behind the seats, heated seats (you can see the switches about 1' aft of the window switches), cruise control (2nd stalk lower on the right-side of the steering wheel), computer (ditto on the left side), even PSM (top switch of the normally 3 blank ones on the left side of the front center console). AFAIK, the only one of those that can't be added is PSM (and the added Litronics won't have automatic leveling) though the cost to add will in many cases be higher than the cost from the factory. But what is the value of these items on the used market? Next to nothing - just use KBB or NADA and price a vehicle with / without those options. They are "worth" pennies on the dollar.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by centerisl
Actually, he wants to know what the _possible_ options are, and that seems even more pointless.
If that's what he wants I included a link to a site that should provide that info in post #5
Old 05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
MrClifton
Instructor

Thank you. I am picking it up at 5:00. I will post the codes if I can not figure it out.

Quick Reply: Boxster purchase