Spare Key Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
KMN
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Key Advice

Hey Folks,

My '03 Boxster only came with one key (previous owner didn't have another key). Naturally, I would like to get another one. The Porsche dealer qouted $327 for the remote + key not including the programming.

Anyway, I'm not too sure I need the remote section. I'm more interested in the second key as a spare. This only works assuming that entrance into the car and the starting of the car doesn't require electronics. Is that a true statement?

I've seen a thread within this forum regarding Suncoast Parts & Accessories which has the key blank and a remote control keyhead at a fraction of the dealer cost. Is that an option? Any other options?

Your collective insight would be much appreciated.

Karl
2003 Boxster
Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Suncoast or Sunset are pretty much the best place to get the key, but the dealer will probably still hit you with an hours labor to get the key programmed. Takes maybe 10 minutes at the most. I was able to get my local dealer to do it for a half hours labor.

Look into getting a valet key, that may be cheaper since there are no remote electronics but it will still need to have the transponder programmed.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 PM
KMN
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right Marc, Suncoast is a fantastic place for accessories.

I did purchase the Lighted Keyhead (w/o remote) + Key Blank for $55 including shipping. Once I get it, I'll need to have Porsche program it. The Remote Control Keyhead was only $113, but I don't really need a second remote. If I lose the one I have, then I'll get another one...

...I can't believe that I was almost ready to fork over $327 to Porsche dealer...!

...I just hope they don't charge too much to program it...!

Karl
03 Boxster

Quick Reply: Spare Key Advice