Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You're the next contestant on GUESS THAT NOISE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're the next contestant on GUESS THAT NOISE!

Okay, here's the situation... my parents went away on a weeks' vacation... and they left the keys to the brand new Porsche... will they mind? Mmmm, well of course not.

So you're not a fan DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince? How about something more Porsche oriented...

Several months ago, at low speeds, I started hearing a metal buckling noise. My first thought was wheel bearing. So I replaced both front wheel bearings. Noise didn't go away. Has slowly gotten worse of the last several months but no other noticeable effects until recently. Now, the sound is more consistent at speed. It sounds like a bolt is loose somewhere or something like that. Is it possible for the steering linkage to be loose enough to rattle like that? That is the general area the sound is coming from. There is not an alarming amount of play in the steering. What I would consider normal in a car with 107,000 miles (so there is some, maybe 3/4 of an inch in either direction from center). It definitely is related to something connected to the steering or suspension as it responds to bumps and recently I have been able to feel a very small bump in the steering when it happens (apart from the actual hitting of any bumps or ridges in the road). I have been really slack about chasing this down as it hasn't seemed to have any other effects, but I am starting to get a little concerned now. Any ideas of where to start looking?

Scott
Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
Any ideas of where to start looking?
sway bar drop links

Quick Reply: You're the next contestant on GUESS THAT NOISE!