Sponsored by:

PSM vs TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PSM vs TC

What is the fundamental difference in Porsche's TC on a 2000 Boxster vs. PSM on the 2001 Boxster? I am looking for a car for my wife and safety is concern. I know that PSM offers a little safety net in the “oh s#%t” moments and in winter adverse weather conditions. Does TC offer the same? I am concerned with the polar inertia of the mid engine design and adverse weather and emergency situations. I have had a 996 with PSM and my Cayman S has PSM so I am familiar with how it reacts to various situations but am really in the dark on Porsche’s TC, so any experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Brian, as far as I know there was no such thing as Traction Control on a 2000 Boxster. There as optional PSM or nothing (ABS was standard).

TC is/was standard on the Carrera GT and the 997 GT3 and RS. As far as I know it was not available on anything else. Traction Control is included in PSM, but as a standalone it was only on the CGT and 997 GT3. I think the 997 GT2 has PSM and going forward, PSM is standard on everything.

So, to answer your question, you want to compare a Boxster with PSM or just ABS.

Regards,
Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
bet
Drifting

TC is definitely available on other models. The 99 Carrera has TC as an option (PSM was only available on a C4 and it came standard). I know TC was available as an option on the 2000 Boxster/S (I have run across a couple). So I do want to compare TC and PSM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

TC was supposed to be the electronic equivalent of LSD and it was definitely available on the 2000 Boxsters. I think it may have also been available on the 1999 Boxsters, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I doubt it would do much for preventing a spin in adverse conditions.

By the way, I've found that the best preventative measure for the winter is to get a good set of winter tires. The grip from those are phenomenal and I've driven comfortably at speed while going past many SUV's in ditches.

If you want the extra level of security, then get the PSM. It is truly remarkable in what it can do to prevent a spin. Just be aware that at some point, the laws of physics will be too much for the car to overcome, so PSM isn't a license to drive like a fool.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have TC on my 97 Boxster and have read that PSM is more advanced , but have no experience with the latter. I can say that TC does step in fairly early when slippage is detected, and it is pretty abrupt. I believe it can determine if you are letting off the accelerator at an improper time in a slide and will apply beak to the slipping wheel. It can be turned off, although it will override that and come back on if a certain amount of slippage occurs.

In my experience, in an oversteer slide with TC on, it will break the slipping wheel bring the car back "into control" as well as reduce any momentum. If TC is turned off it will not prevent the slide unless you lift off the accelerator or hit the breaks.

As mentioned earlier TC/PSM will not completely overcome the laws of physics but it does come in handy in the winter, providing you are also equipped with winter tires. I do feel the TC activating under straight line acceleration & during cornering on snow covered roads. I presume this would also be the case on wet roads.

Last edited by aron in toronto; 04-07-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

PSM is the thing to have. It corrects for drivers errors in complete car handling....Traction control only controls the traction in rear wheels. PSM can control all 4 corners if necessary with brake input and throttle control.

Really NO comparison.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
bet
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. This is what I figured, but I thought I would ask. I guess I will narrow the search to 2001 and newer. Too bad because I thought I found a decent car with the color combo and options she wanted and priced right. I think the TC would be fine but I know if something happened I would be kicking myself so I don't think I want her in a TC only car.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Bet, is it possible you are being misled by the sort of limited slip feature Porsche had on early cars, it would prevent wheel spin by braking one wheel but only worked at speeds below 60 MPH as I recall. It was designed more for getting out of snow banks than avoiding power-slides Traction Control (and called that) showed up on the C-GT and 97 GT3. It can apply a brake to a wheel as well as reducing engine power to prevent power oversteer. Quite different from what was on the early cars. In any case you probably want PSM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was an option on the early Boxsters called "Traction Control with ABD" (Active Brake Differential) that applies the brakes to the slipping wheel, and yes I notice working mostly in snowy and icy conditions. In fact last night we had freezing temps with lots of black ice on the roads and even under normal acceleration on city streets the TC was kicking in. I believe, as Bob said that the TC only works on speed below 60 MPH, so it is helpful around town but I don't depend on it at higher speeds.

The traction control does allows me to get out of my inclined driveway in the winter, that even with snow tires and a plowed surface the Boxster has a hard time with the TC disengaged.

There should be no confusing the performance of the traction control of the early Boxsters with whatever electronic traction control, if any, made its way into the C-GT, as I'm sure the only similarities are in name only.

If you've found an early car with TC, I wouldn't discount it simply because it does not have the later PSM, as the right early car can be a great value today. True PSM is more advanced but TC will still step in in those OH SH@%* moments as well, and neither will save you past a certain point. Also keep in mind that the majority of Boxsters aren't equipped with either TC or PSM and we don't hear about them flying off the road (except when in the hands of over enthusiastic service techs, sorry Dennis ).

Last edited by aron in toronto; 04-07-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
bet
Drifting

This is the type of info I need. Thank you all. I will be the first to admit that I don't know what TC is or how it works on the early Boxsters. My biggest concern is not for high speed driving but more under what I call "normal" driving. For example getting started in snow, or stopping a spin on a corner in slick conditions when too much throttle is applied, generally helping keep the car pointed in the right direction and on the road. I don't expect any electronic nanny to solve stupidity problems but I want it to be just that....a nanny that will say "hey are you sure you want to do this?"

Aron, I would really like to hear about your experiences with TC in the snow. Please feel free to PM or email me.

Thanks, Brian
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I had TC on my '99 996. Never drove the car in snow, but it worked well in the rain. By the time you realize it's active, it's all done and you're moving along safely at a slower pace than expected.

Unless your wife is a very aggressive driver, I wouldn't worry about not having PSM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I like being able to whip my 04 Boxster S into corners, break the rear wheels loose, and let PSM straighten me up. It's like driving with cheat mode on!

One thing I don't like is once I've done that, I stand on the gas to accelerate out of the corner... and get nothing. time passes. Frustratingly long time passes. Then FINALLY, after maybe a half second or so, PSM lets go and the engine roars back to life. What, exactly, is PSM doing while I'm tossing my car around like this?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

PSM is saving you from a spin.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, yeah, I gathered that much

If I'm rotating CW while making a right-hand turn, is it braking the left front wheel to stop the spin? How's that work? It's clearly electronically modulating the throttle, too.

Edit: Ah, nevermind, found the answer on google. The answer is Yes, yes it is.
http://www.deter.com/porsche/PSM.txt
The biggest difference between PSM and the other systems on the market today (Mercedes Benz, BMW, Jaguar, etc.) is that PSM is programmed to allow a good deal of slip, as you can see. All of these other systems clamp down the moment any slip (i.e., fun driving) is detected.
LOL!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

That's the first I've heard that it could blip the throttle, and maybe that's a new feature in the later models. According to my owner's manual, it can only cut the throttle, not blip it.

Quick Reply: PSM vs TC