Doh! Sprung a leak...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Doh! Sprung a leak...

We finally got a beautiful spring day today so I took the Boxster top down to run an errand first thing this morning.

Coming home I got the flashing coolant temp light but temp was stable and normal. CEL went on as I pulled into my neighborhood, and when I got out of the car it is leaking either from the water pump or the 3 way pump hose. Fun stuff. So the fun car is out of commission on the nicest weekend we've had in months. Lame.

Ah well. 63K on the 01S... guess it is time for a new pump. Luckily my Spartans are about to whip UConn.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 AM
LammMorada
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing water pump

I, too, have a 2001 Boxster S, and the water pump started to leak at about 90K miles. I bought a new one from Sunset Imports ($188.30 with gasket) and installed it in about 2 hours. And I changed the serpentine belt at the same time.

It's a fairly simple job, although I should mention that I own a lift, which makes draining the cooling system and getting at the bottom bolts a lot easier, and I also have the Bentley service manual. Those two items make all the difference.

-Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I really need a lift. The 986 really is difficult to work on the underbody without one.

Quick Reply: Doh! Sprung a leak...