Litronics question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Litronics question

Are litronics on the 986 "plug and play" (i.e. can they just be swapped with no-litronic lights without any additional wiring or control box)?

I tried to search but I could not find any consensus.

Has anyone done this?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:39 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you also need the appropriate ballast.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe they should be, the ballasts and igniters are mounted on the back side of the light, all they should need is the same power plug on the back

you couldn't swap in the bulbs but if you had the entire housing everything should work fine
Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

IIRC the factory installed litronics have additional sensors that allow the lights to "dip" or adjust aim for various loads on the suspension. If they are installed later they do not have this feature.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
IIRC the factory installed litronics have additional sensors that allow the lights to "dip" or adjust aim for various loads on the suspension. If they are installed later they do not have this feature.
Yes I'm aware of that feature and it cannot be retrofitted without major effort. My question is will all other features of the lights work?

I think I have discovered that the high beams won't operate correctly without an additional control box.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The headlights work fine with the exception the litronic bulb does not rotate up upon activation of the high beam lights. In order for this to function you need to install the control box and wiring harness. The angle sensors for automatic adjustment of the headlights depending on suspension load is only available if the car was factory equipped with litronics.

-Todd
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

The "retrofit" Litronics will dip/raise Litronic lights for the high-beams as well as illuminate the H7 high-beams. It's nice for the xenon headlights to raise for the high-beams. You get some serious light when combined with the H7 bulbs.

Ray, I think the only thing you will be missing from a functionality point-of-view are the headlight washers and larger tank which I wouldn't want anyway. Again, this is with the factory retrofit kit.

Part of the Litronics retrofit is a headlight control unit and a wiring harness. The wiring harness connects* into a bunch of stuff including the windshield washers. You also may have to drill a 20mm hole in each side for the harnesses to go to the headlight ***'ys (if they're not there already). In the back of the headlight tray, this adds another socket/connector**.

Ray, if you are a RennTech member, go look up TSB 9415 for 'Litronic Retrofit Kit'. The TSB lists 180 TU, but this includes priming/painting the holes you drilled into the trunk sheet metal.

* You crimp pins that go into existing harness connectors.
** The harness adds 4 wires to each headlight

Last edited by arenared; 04-05-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Some corrections and clarifications

Quick Reply: Litronics question