Sponsored by:

Need Help with 1999 Boxster Real Market Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
glencase
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with 1999 Boxster Real Market Value

So I've done as much research as I can come up with to try and figure out the real world value of my 1999 Boxster 5 spd, Black with Grey interior and Grey top, with 99,500 miles, it has the 17" wheels, Updated shifter (Carrera I think), Aluminum sill plates (is that the sport package?), wind deflectors, paint looks really good, grey top is in good shape window is still clear (clean and polish it all the time), updated radio with iPod Auxiliary connector in the cubby.

Ok all maint is up to date, from what I can gather tune-up stuff is all really a 90k service including the Tranny fluid down below.

Within the last 100 miles -

4 New Summer Tires
Plugs
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
wipers
Serpentine Belt
Fuel Filter
Oil Change
Front and Rear Brakes and new Wear Sensors
Drivers seat belt buckle to fix airbag light
Seats Reconditioned to restore the faded color
Fresh VA State and Emissions inspection

In Last 15k miles
Tranny had internal bearing issue at 84K replaced Tranny with lower mileage used unit at IMA in VA

While Tranny was out, being replaced
New Clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot and throw out bearings
New Flywheel
New Rear Main Seal
New Intermediate shaft seal and bolts
New Starter
New Amsoil Tranny Fluid

New Convertible Top Cables from Motor to Transmissions

I've researched Kelly's Blue Book, NADA, Black Book, Auto Trader and eBay for vehicles with comparable mileage etc... most have no mentioning of any maintenance at all and I have come up with -

$11995

I usually use all of these sources, include the typical good condition trade in, private and retail values, plus the average of all the auto trader comparables, and eBay to come up with a total and then average them all to come up with what I think works, question is will it work in this economy?

Is this what it is worth and should I advertise for more and negotiate?

Someone I work with said he doesn't negotiate, he wants a price like CarMax, and I'm trying to figure out how much I would accept and I'm thinking 12k would be acceptable, is that price in this market possible? I would likely offer it to him for $11900, playing the perspective game of it isn't 12 grand it's only 11 and some change.

Just a clutch alone with rear main and intermediate shaft seal and such would run 2k right? Flywheel is an extra grand, starter is $300 and all the maint. brakes and tires.

I'm not selling it just yet, and this is not an ad to sell it, I'm just trying to get some feed back so I can figure out how much it is really worth. I've got a 944 and a Lexus LS430 Ultra that I will likely flip and combined with the money from the Boxster get a newer 2003 + Boxster, I really enjoy this car probably the most I've ever enjoyed any car and don't think I could/would want to be without one for very long.

Thanks for taking a look and for your thoughts/input.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately with that mileage I think $12k is at the high end for what it's worth. From what I have seen 2.5's are trading for between $9-12k right now.

They are a great deal at those prices IMHO.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree...$12k is going to be too high...There is a 99 in my area I think that the guy has been trying to sell for weeks now and he has gone from 11k I think to around 9k...the car looks nice in the pictures in his ad. I have seen 2.7's with decent mileage (70-90k) going around the 12-13k mark quite often.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I was going to say $9K.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

around here, I see '03 Boxsters for mid teens..I hope you don't have to sell ALL your cars to get one A '99, simply because it is 10 years old and some say less desirable would mean, to me, a high of 12 given the buyers market. In fact, if I was buying/selling a used car in this market I would consider myself lucky to get the dealer "trade in" value.

The harder part will be anyone wanting to buy a car in this market. Sure, he says now that he's interested.. till he goes and tries to get a loan and can't get one. Just saying.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

You are in a market less hard hit than most.
Still it has that high mileage.
I see '99s with 60-120k miles offered from $22k to $9.8k.
My guess is selling price $9999. How you get to that is your choice of strategy.
You have a well maintained car whose history you know and which needs nothing, why would you sell it to buy a newer car of the same model whose problems you never know?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

You are in a market less hard hit than most.
Still it has that high mileage.
I see '99s with 60-120k miles offered from $22k to $9.8k.
My guess is selling price $9999. How you get to that is your choice of strategy.
You have a well maintained car whose history you know and which needs nothing, why would you sell it to buy a newer car of the same model whose problems you never know?

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
glencase
Racer

Originally Posted by mikefocke

The biggest reason is - yes the market is down so I'll get less for my cars, but since it is down there are a lot of good deals out there for newer lower mileage cars, 50-60k miles is practiacally a new car as long as some/most of the maint. has been done, if not just oil changes.

That and the glass rear window (I hate cleaning the rear window with a Mircofiber rag and doing the Boxster Chop at stoplights), a glovebox, more power and some other options.

I'm not sure on the 2003 + reliablility though and IMS issues and what have you but there's plenty of time for me to research all of that, I'm leaning toward a 2004 because of first year changes motor wise in the 2003 year.

A 2005 + S would be the car that I would hold on to forever but they are way out of my price range even if I sell all my cars.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glencase
........... I'm leaning toward a 2004 because of first year changes motor wise in the 2003 year. ....
The 3.2 Boxster S motor came out in 2000 and was tweaked each year (As Porsche always does) so the 2003 motors are as reliable as any other year. It is just that the 2003 has a glove box, glass rear window and several other minor improvements.

I've had zero problems with mine.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
glencase
Racer

Originally Posted by smlporsche
The 3.2 Boxster S motor came out in 2000 and was tweaked each year
Can't afford an S and still have some money left.

The standard Boxster is what I'm leaning towards, I didn't realize that the same 2.7 motor was used from 2000 - 2004 likely with mild improvements over the years, and with slight mods to increase power, although now since I typed it out it seems obvious to me 2.7 that is.

Like I said I have plenty of research to do, I thought it was a different motor in 03 but apparently it was just a bump in power, right?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:38 AM
glencase
Racer

Update, hopefully I won't jinx it, but they guy at my work (he's an executive) agreed to the no haggle price of $11.5k, I thought long and hard about that price and it would probably not have sold for that much to someone I didn't know.
He's comfortable with that price because he knows how I am with my car/cars and the fact that I can fix just about anything, and I'm a "car guy".

I went with that price because of the doom and gloom of this market, I didn't want to blow him out of the water and then be stuck with the car and then only get $9k for it like some have suggested on this thread.

It also helps that he was primed with the fact that I was going to advertise it for more and negotiate with potential buyers, and the fact that I told him that the value was somewhere between $10-12k + depending on condition and mileage, and the cost of the major clutch and transmission job that I had done on it.

Now since we work at a bank, I just have to wait for the money to happen.

Thanks everyone for you input.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you are both going to do well on the deal.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/modelyeardifferences
Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice chart Mike....

Quick Reply: Need Help with 1999 Boxster Real Market Value