Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring for Rear Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 01:28 AM
thelamoras
4th Gear

Question Wiring for Rear Defroster

I am in the process of upgrading my top to one that has a glass rear window. I own a 2000 Boxster and am forced to do so because of recent vadalism (from hoodlums who have yet to receive my wrath). Obviously, my car does not have the wiring for the glass rear window defroster. Please tell me everything there is to know about the wiring, the switch, etc. Thanks!

Stephen
Old 03-10-2009 | 01:16 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Your car actually does have the wiring for the rear defroster. IIRC all Boxsters come pre-wired for the rear defroster used in the optional hardtop even if your doesn't have the hardtop. There is a wire with end plug concealed under a carpeted panel on the the driver side behind the seat.

Here is a link to a DIY hardtop install that shows where the wiring is located courtesy of the folks at the Boxster wiki
Last photo with red arrow.
http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Hard_Tops
Old 03-10-2009 | 03:38 PM
lolayay
Intermediate

The car is pre-wired as Aron said. There is a button on the panel for rear defogger too. If you get a GAHH glass top, the wire connects with the top perfectly. I am not that handy to install things myself so I asked an interior restoration shop which is familiar with dealing with Boxster to do the job for me. Works great.
Old 03-10-2009 | 06:04 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Just to confirm what others said, all cars have the wiring from the factory. The switch is on the right side of the radio ( I think... I have PCM and that's where it is) and the wire is on the driver's side behind the door.

My car was sold without a hardtop and I bought one separately. Picked up the spin locks from the dealer and followed the install guide on Renntech (same as the boxster wiki - definitely use the bag method!). Took an hour tops. The wire was right there ready to go. Just plugged it in and it worked just like that.
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:10 PM
thelamoras
4th Gear

Smile

Thanks everyone!!! One more question. During the replacement and while the old top is off, are there any routine maintenance items that can be taken care of concerning the convertible arms, motors, etc.?

Quick Reply: Wiring for Rear Defroster