Sponsored by:

Vandalized!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM
thelamoras
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Vandalized!

My 2000 Boxster was vandalized at approximately 3:30 this morning. It appears that the hoodlum tried to steal the car by cutting several holes in the top and unlocking the drivers side door. I was alerted from my slumber by the car alarm. The police were called and I will make an appointment with State Farm on Monday. When I attempted to park the Boxster back into the garage, I noticed two things. 1. there is now a red light on the radio console that is blinking and 2. the key was rather hard to turn in order to start the car. After the car was back into the garage, I took the key out and noticed that the "you left the key in the ignition" sound was still operating. I then tried to stick the key back into the ignition but it will NOT go back in. Do I need to reset the alarm somehow? If so, how? Any advice would be much appreciated. By the way, I live in Selah, WA which is just North of Yakima, WA. My wife and I will be moving back to Oregon because this area is out of control.

Stephen
Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think it was vandalized, rather a failed attempt of theft. Sounds to me these amateurs might have tried a screwdriver or a blank key to force the ignition to turn. As far as the radio red light, it's probably the factory alarm system. I know the radio is a vital part of the system. The flashing LED probably means the alarm has been triggered. I would definitely take it to a Porsche dealer to have it look at, these cars requires specialize knowledge & equipment... especially the electronics.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's horrible. It does sound like the ignition lock was tampered with. Obviously for you it is a long distance to a dealer in Seattle but if insurance is paying for it, I would want a dealer to look at it rather than some shop out in Yakima. Obviously without the key you can't check the radio but it sounds as if the lockout was triggered. If so you'll need the radio code inside the owner's manual. If you don't have that it can be located by a dealer.

It is also possible that if they attempted to force it that they broke the ignition mechanism. I just had to have my switch replaced in my 01 cause it was acting up. It is a common issue and the new part is upgraded over our originals.

Oregon is hurting too but we're probably a lot better off than some of the rural high desert communities. Unless you bought a house in Bend at the height of the real estate market. Then you are hating life.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
thelamoras
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the hoodlum had a chance to gain access to the car. My theory is that once the arm gained access into the interior via the cut roof, the alarm was triggered. The door was still locked when I approached the car. The radio was working just fine when I moved the car into the garage. Like I stated before, I cannot insert the key into the ignition now. My wife and I used to reside in Yakima and about a year ago we had the passenger side window of our 325XI shot out. Lovely.

Quick Reply: Vandalized!