Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Smshirk-

Welcome to the REAL Porsche Community.

I too was deleted several times over at PPBB and just got tires of the randomness and all the OT discussions on topics that interested the moderators (watches to name one...) etc.

Rennlist is a more mature board and we welcome all points of view here (as far as I can tell)

I now have 3 Porsches including my '03 Boxster S and am interested in someday beefing the performance of its motor as well so please keep us updated (good or bad).

Best of luck to you and your project.
Thanks smlporsche, You sound like my kind of Porsche guy. Can't seem to get rid of any Pcar. I put one or more of mine up for sale every now and then. The first prospective buyer that insults my car usually winds up causing me to pull it off the market. I promise the wife I'm going to sell one just before I buy another one, but it rarely ever happens. And when I do sell one I always regret it later.

We may even retire over there in your part of the world someday. That is one of the areas we are watching real estate with a look to the future. I've only been that far east in NC once, but I really liked it. We've seen what looks like really good deals on the REDC website. The houses are for the most part foreclosures, so it's hard to say what they are really like without taking the trip over. I was scheduled to attend an auction last week near Hatteras, but I didn't make it.

I had words privately with several of the "deputies" over at PPBB. I liked them less than they liked me, or maybe it was the other way around. Either way, I won't be going back, as there are a lot better sites. In fact there's is the most difficult to negotiate, in addition to getting censored for no apparent reason. It's sort of like journalism in Russia.

They really took issue with some of my email remarks. I think I hit a sore spot that someone else had squeezed before, because they came out of the wood work to chastise me. I had fun with them for awhile. And they with me I suppose because they insulted my intelligence, my education, and pretty much think I'm just a hick, which I guess I am, but not all of us hicks are as dumb as some people think. I was probably a little more harsh than was called for, but I've never been censored before, not even in my high school newspaper, where I did some pretty racy stuff for the 60s. The principal tried a few times, but I could always find something a founder wrote to convince him otherwise.

With PPBB though you don't have a chance to plead your case. It's their sand box and you play by their rules, or you don't play. I am really surprised by some of the remarks here about so many having posts deleted. I guess I am just too much of a rebel. I believe in freedom of speech, and all the rights we are guaranteed in America. I realize PPBB is private and they can do whatever they want. I'm just surprised that people keep going back with the knowledge they could be summarily censored. It's downright unAmerican in my view. Guys like Jake and all veterans fought and many died to preserve these rights. I get really worked up when somebody denies them, even if it is a private group, and the "deputies" were very clear about that fact. I find the terminology "deputy" very telling in itself. Ah, I'm getting myself all worked up again just thinking about it.

I will most certainly share the results of my upgraded Boxster with all of Porschedom, minus PPBB, of course. There is a new site that Lefteris, from Greece started and I've shared what Jake's doing with those guys. It's called seven speed the url says 6speed, but the name when you get there is 7, http://www.6speed.eu/album.php?u=46after the pdk I'm sure. I get all tingly just thinking about how I'm going to measure the 0 to 60, and quarter mile times. Jake has a chassis dyno as well as his development equipment so he can measure pretty much everything there is to measure in his shop. My son and his buddies drag race up in TN and I know they have several different devices to measure time to speed and time to distance, as well as braking performance.

They do some 1/8 mile stuff, and braking is pretty critical, especially for those Supra Turbos, and other monster ricer stuff. I'm going to have to help him get his Eclipse running good again, so I can smoke him in a 1/4. He killed me in my 996 a few years ago. It was embarrassing, but predictable given the HP that Eclipse was getting at the time, and Porsches aren't exactly known for their straight line speed anyway. the Eclipse has electrical gremlins, and has had for a long time. Nobody has been able to fix it, or he can't afford to get the right guy to, is more likely.

Quick Reply: PPBB Deputies