Sponsored by:

PPBB Deputies

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPBB Deputies

I would like to reiterate for the record, that I am not connected to Jake Raby in any way other than that of customer. I have hired Jake to rebuild my 3.2 Boxster engine and I don't mind saying I am very excited about the prospect of having tons of torque available in a highly reliable mid engined car the caliber of a Boxster. I had always considered myself a 911 guy, and an aircooled one at that, but after driving a 996 for the first time I was hooked. I then drove a Boxster, couldn't believe how good that 97 2.5 was, and bought one on Ebay sight unseen. I am now on my second Boxster, this one hard topped equipped, and have had zero engine failures. The convertible is for the wife. The hardtop keeps my son from laughing at me about driving a chick car, plus I can smoke him in his G35 Coupe, and his Eclipse with a turbo the size of a watermelon.

I have however, read most of the really horrendous stories here and on other forums about guys who have had their engines grenade, and while it hasn't happened to me, the nagging fear that it would has been with me since the first story I read. That first story i remember was a guy named Bob on the 996 sub forum who blew two engines and a transmission in his first year of Porsche ownership. The guys on the 996 forum at the time crucified him for his very predictable opinions. It wasn't that I was afraid I couldn't get the car fixed, i knew I could afford to get a replacement engine, it was just that even the replacement engines have had the exact same issues, regardless of whatever improvements and testing Porsche says they have done.

I will be the first to admit I have been very positive in my posts about Flat6Innovations. The "deputies" at PPBB pulled my post which is basically the same post I made here concerning new engine alternatives. They deleted my post and are accusing me of advertising for Jake. I would like to repeat, I am not advertising for anyone. I am just a customer who is excited at the prospect of getting a highly reliable engine, 400CCs larger than mine, with better internals, more HP, and most importantly more torque. I thought that's what these forums were all about. If I were getting a supercharger or turbo from TPC or some other company, and I was pumped about it, I would be on here discussing the merits. If I had the good fortune to visit Ruf's faclities in Germany, I would sure be talking about it. I believe FLat6 to be on a par or maybe even superior to the work Ruf has done, but the proof will as they say, be in the pudding. Jake is doing engines, and not dolling the car up and building new bodies and interiors, but if he was and I was into that, I would be talking about that as well.

At any rate, I can no longer post without the threat of being censored on PPBB, so I will just stay away. When my car is complete, if any of you guys spend all your time over at PPBB, you'll need to check in here or on Pelican, because I believe in the freedom to post and have my post left for public consumption, as long as I am not being derogatory, profane, or generally a public nuisance. I did not break any rules, but, in the ":deputies" paranoid opinion I was just too positive about my excitement, and I posted my opinions in more than one place. Of that I am guilty, but I posted in multiple forums because I am here mostly and move around the 996, 968, and aircooled 911 forums, since I have one of each type. I rarely go to PPBB, but since it is a Boxster only forum, I thought the guys over there would have a keen interest in what I saw at Jake Raby's place. I tried to be as informative as possible, and did my best to take in everything I could while there. Jake is very busy, but he took the time to show me around every part of his operation and was very patient in explaining things, and letting me hold the parts and register the differences in what he is using and what Porsche uses in their stock engines.

The Boxster sub forum here doesn't get a lot of traffic, so posting off this site seemed the prudent thing to do since my reasons did include getting the information out. Had Jake been doing this a couple of years ago, and had I known about it, I would have kept the 97 I had with 108k miles. I'm sure there are guys out there now that would scoop up one of these cheap Boxsters on the market if this information were more widely publicized. Not only am I pumped for myself, but I felt like I was doing a public service to the Porsche community by letting everyone know what I saw, I was certainly not intending to drum up business for Jake. That may wind up having some publicity like effect, but I hardly think there is any one out there who is swayed by anything I have to say. If I were Arod or Tiger maybe, but a country boy living in the woods in Ga, I don't think so. Maybe that's it. Perhaps the "deputies" at PPBB think because Jake is in Ga and I am in Ga we must be in cahoots. Deliverance was filmed not too far from here. hmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by smshirk; 12-06-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:03 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

looking forward to reading about it!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

more power.....looking forward to hearing your results
Old 12-06-2008, 10:04 AM
daveinmd
2nd Gear

Must admit to being an occasional "lurker" here on Rennlist and this is actually my first post here. I've been active at PPBB for about a year. If you search the archives at PPBB you'll find a lot of threads over the last month or so about and by Jake, his company, and his product. Some interesting discussions there and differing points of view.

For me, my 03 base is out of warranty and I'm kinda glad there's an option if the engine does go. I like Jake's advice: just drive it.

I did read your post before it was deleted. I thought it was OK, (informative actually) but I also knew it was going to start another round of "spirited" threads. As far as the deputies on PPBB go, overall they do a terrific job on a forum that doesn't require registration. SPAM and inappropriate content doesn't stay posted long. Of course, anytime one of them makes a decision to delete something it's their personal judgment based on imperfect data. I've had a couple deleted over the last year - I think everyone has. It's a tough job that they do because they love the forum and want to help keep it active with good content. And, no I'm not one of the deputies; just an occasional contributor.

All that said, I did notice the handle that you used and didn't recognize you as a "regular". This could have been part of their reasoning. At any rate, I would encourage you to give PPBB a more regular try. From your post and your obvious love of Porsche, you'll find a lot of like minded folks there who try to be helpful and provide excellent insights. Who knows, when the economy improves maybe I'll get Jake to put more power in the old Boxster! Would love to hear your feedback on it.

Dave
Old 12-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Please keep us posted. I'd like to hear about the results after it's done. My engine has been fine but if it were to fail, I'd like to know if there was a more robust solution than the same design all over again. I think Porsche should offer their newly designed engine for any engine replacements.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Just for the record,
there was perhaps a 10 minute discussion between perhaps a half dozen deputies before any deletion action was taken on PPBB. There was some investigation done. Multiple aspects were considered. And opinions pro and con expressed. So while the action might seem arbitrary to you, it was far from a single person's quick decision. (I've been deleted too, several times. So have other deputies.)

Which forum you frequent is, of course, up to you. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Be glad we have so many.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm curious
why you are getting your engine rebuilt. Is there something wrong or are you just taking precautions? Upgrading in size too? How did you figure what options to order...IOW, where to stop spending? Are you waiting for the oiling system parts replacements to be available? Special sump?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:07 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

There is nothing wrong with my engine. I am opting for the high performance, high torque 3.6 liter, with just about every option Jake has available, and the list is fairly extensive. I am only cutting back on exhaust options because my wife will refuse to ride in it with me, if It's too loud or resonates too much on the highway. I plan on driving the car everywhere I go appropriate for a Boxster. I am doing it for the added performance and the reliability.

I was also one of the first people in the states to supercharge an 80s 911. It had been done in the UK prior to mine, but as far as I know mine was one of the first two done anywhere in the states. The engine bay was crude looking, as my car was used to mock up the kit that was later sold for 80s vintage 911s. You could say I enjoy being on the bleeding edge in some respects, but in this instance I believe I am going to get a much more reliable engine than Porsche built. Plus the Boxster chassis, brakes, and transmission will handle the additional power.

In the case of the blower on the SC, plus twin plug heads, cams, ignition, and bunches of other goodies I had a car that was very difficult to drive in traffic just due to the incredible throttle response. But that car did not begin life strong enough to handle the power and I didn't spend the money to upgrade the suspension, brakes, etc. It had a motor, with SSI heat exchangers, no cat, and very little guts in the exhaust. WOT was probably 100db, although I never measured it, I had the equipment to do it, and never got around to it. The car wouldn't stay in first gear when really pressed hard, I broke things quite frequently when pushing the car hard, and ended up swapping belts out for daily driving to remove the supercharger around town. I once changed belts halfway though the dragons tail because I lost my nerve. I tried to get someone to make me an automatic pulley system to move one belt on and off the blower drive pulley. I never found anyone willing to take that on, and ended up selling the car to some kid with a pocket full of dotcom money. Something I have always regretted.

I have been looking for it for several years and regularly post a picture on various boards looking for it. That may be part of my desire to have Jake rebuild a perfectly operating motor. At 250 HP, a Boxster S is a great little car, and more fun to drive than my 996, IMHO. I don't want to start a feud about the merits of each. They are both great, as is my wife's 968. Below is a picture of the old SC. Maybe I want to re-create something I once had, but better.

At any rate I am really excited about the project, and I'm thinking about selling some of my other toys and going all out to make this Boxster something even more special. In addition to the SC, I once took a 409 out of a 62 Impala SS, and put in a 327 engine that came from GM with 375HP. That motor was then rebuilt and came out of a super stock class dragster. I drove it around on the streets in high school with skinny 14 inch tires. I could only afford retreads at the time because I went through the rears about once a month. I just recalled the retreads. Every little town in those days had a shop that sold retread tires, and used oil that went through some cleaning process. It came in glass bottles. I am really aging myself now, but I had to buy that used oil too. At 10 cents a quart, it was necessary for some of the clunkers that burned about as much oil as gas. Not my 62, it was great. I had to work up to that, at .75 an hour at the motorcycle shop. But i digress, here is the SC

Old 12-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also glad there is an alternative. Please keep us updated.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...
I'd see why the folks at PPBB would be critical if I hadn't paid what they asked me to be an advertiser on their forums... I sent them a check over a month ago, to the address they specified and to date it has not cleared my bank.. Perhaps it got lost, or perhaps for some reason they don't want us to have the ability to post on their forums for some crazy reason.

Either way, deletion of a post by an individual without some explanation to that poster doesn't seem fair to me at all. It seems that everywhere we go, people are trying to make our challenges with this endeavor more difficult. These things range from Porsche not selling parts and tools to sending us "letters" stating they don't like what we are doing to forums having posts pulled that are made by our Customers that are Enthusiastic about what we are doing. I HAD NEVER met Steve before he came to my shop, he has no vested interest in what we are doing and he didn't get a "discount".

To say the least, I am noting these instances for future reference.
I will not be making any more posts an PPBB, that includes my articles on engine reliability and how to maximize the M96 engine.

I have no tolerance for political bull**** from people sitting in front of monitors that don't like something I am doing for some wild reason that they can't explain.

That said, if they end up depositing my check I am gonna be really pissed.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 12-06-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

They have a history of pulling posts without explanation. Especially of posts that are not with those known to be friendly with the deputies.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

I only know one Deputy, and he and I don't have a problem.

I am a litle too much of a Renegade to conform to a site thats ran by "Deputized Moderators".
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please come over & post your results on the Spec Box board:

http://www.boxsterspec.com/

We get some traffic over there
Old 12-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Please come over & post your results on the Spec Box board:

http://www.boxsterspec.com/

We get some traffic over there
And things don't get "Moderated" by Deputized keyboard punchers.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Smshirk-

Welcome to the REAL Porsche Community.

I too was deleted several times over at PPBB and just got tires of the randomness and all the OT discussions on topics that interested the moderators (watches to name one...) etc.

Rennlist is a more mature board and we welcome all points of view here (as far as I can tell)

I now have 3 Porsches including my '03 Boxster S and am interested in someday beefing the performance of its motor as well so please keep us updated (good or bad).

Best of luck to you and your project.

Quick Reply: PPBB Deputies