"new" Boxster, window doesn't go down

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:28 PM
on-air
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "new" Boxster, window doesn't go down

Hi all

I just picked up an addition to my collection - my first Boxster. A '02 tip with only 35,000 gently driven miles. Car is in absolutely great condition and lots of fun!

I have one problem that I'm looking for help on. I did a search but did'nt find quite the same problem.

When I open the drivers door, the window goes down a little like it should, but it needs to go down just a a couple of centemeters more to completly clear the roof. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the memory, but that didn't help. After I open the door and the window goes down as far as it does automaically, I find that if continue to lift up on the handle I can gently gently the window down a little more with my hand. It stops at what seems to be the correct place when I do that, and I can close the door easily then. The passenger's door window works great, just as it should.

Any advice?

Thanks

Kerry Swanson
'78 911sc Targa
'81 928s
'02 Boxster
Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I've read of folks with this problem but I can't recall the answer. i think they "reset" the windows by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, then running the windows all the way down and back up all the way again. I recall finding the issue on another board thoug.. www.986forum.com
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
curt_928
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,

My car did the EXACT same thing to both windows at about 30k miles.
I replaced the window regulator on both sides and this solved the problem on the passenger side.
- laxity on the window regulator cable and the plastic parts in the mechanism prevented the window from rollign down enough...
After this the passenger side worked perfect.
Drivers side lowers with the outer handle completely but now pops back up after the handle is released when the door is open.
If you find anything interesting let me know.... perhaps reprogramming the ECU?

Curt
------------
79 928
02 Boxster blk/blk 5sp
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 AM
stoupaq
3rd Gear

Post Same problem

Originally Posted by curt_928
Hi,

Drivers side lowers with the outer handle completely but now pops back up after the handle is released when the door is open.
If you find anything interesting let me know.... perhaps reprogramming the ECU?

Curt
------------
79 928
02 Boxster blk/blk 5sp
Hi Curt,
did you solved this issue you had years ago? I have now same problem with driver's window. When I am opening door window lowers as I pull the door handle but than raises again when I release the handle even though door are now opened. When I manage to close door and have key in ingition, window starts to work just right.

Stoupaq
---
'01 Boxster S

Last edited by stoupaq; 07-20-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the window doesn't dip you need a regulator, as was said above there is too much slack in it. Ifthe window doesn't try to dip you may need the micro switch on either the inside or outside handle. If it goes back up after opening you need a door latch the microswitch inside went bad.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
curt_928
Racer

Yup. Solved it.
Noticed catching of the window on the passengers side window... so replaced the window regulator and that solved it. With laxity in the cable that lowers the window, the window couldn't drop low enough to clear the top weather stripping.

Then my drivers side door did the same thing albeit irregularly. So I replaced the window regulator. Still did it.

The key was.. when I lifted the outer door handle or inner door handle the window dropped to clear the top on the drivers side. This happened when the door was open OR closed. The problem was it would then raise back up on the drivers side as soon as I let go of either the inner or the outer handle.. resulting in catching. If you lift the handle on both the inner and outer door handles, and the window drops, those switches are working.

It turns out there is a small switch in the door striker plate.. where the door latches to the body, to let the car know that the door is closed. When this switch goes bad the car thinks that the door is closed all the time. Switch is right under the latch on the door (that greasy thing that latches onto the body)This results in (with the door wide open) the window moving down when you pull a handle.. but the instant that you let go it pops back up.

So in summary: if the window moves down when you pull the inner or outer door handles when the door is closed.. both door handle switches are probably OK.
With the door wide open, if the window is completely up and drops 1/8 of an inch when you pull the outer door handle.. it probably a bad switch in the striker plate in the door. (window should NOT move when the door is open and you pull the outer door handle)
If the window does not move when the door is open and the window drops when either door handle is pulled with the door CLOSED, but the window only drops a small amount.. its probably the window regulator.

Hope this helps..

Curt
--------------
79 928 5sp silver/blk
02 boxster 5sp blk/blk/blk
Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 AM
curt_928
Racer

I say Striker plate in the door. Microswitch is bad. got mine at DCauto.com.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM
curt_928
Racer

http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/517916592

I'd call them for the order given there are a few part applications (was confusing to me) on the webpage..
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 AM
stoupaq
3rd Gear

Thanks a lot for help.
I did find out that it depends on if I open the door from inside or outside. When I open the door from inside everything works ok. When I open the door from outside the widow rises even when the door are open. When I close the door again and open it by inside handle it works ok. As soon I open the door by outside handle the window is rising when (inner or outer) handle is released until I close the door again.
I will try to test all switches and hope some of them is broken. But it seems that every switch works, but the door get to some confused state when outer handle is used.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM
stoupaq
3rd Gear

Repaired. It was door latch microswitch as you said. Not exactly microswitch, but the plate microswitch operates against was worn off. Friend managed to repair it by creating better push mechanism on microswitch. Thanks a lot for diagnosis.

Quick Reply: "new" Boxster, window doesn't go down