Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear syncro iffy ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default VW tool I think. Have you checked if you can buy it from VW dealer ..

Originally Posted by davepnola
Ok trans is apart, though I need a special tool to remove the input shaft front bearing tool # VAG 1582 , 1582/2 though I wonder if i can tap on the front of the shaft with rubber mallet and push the shaft out of the bearing?? Anyone have that tool , all syncros besides 1st are really burnt , though second is toast
parts counter? Or even Porsche parts counter?

From the picture looks to be something like a collet grip with a knurled handle. The handle closes down the collet fingers and then provides the grip used to pull the bearing out. Might even be a slide hammer incorporated in the puller, can't tell from drawing.

Looks like the collet portion squeezes down on the portion of the bearing outer race that extends from the transmisson case and then allows you to pull the bearing out.

Can you buy a can of electronics chilling spray in aerosol can and use this to chill bearing and then with large channel locks just pull the bearing out of case?

Might help if tranny case/housing warmed up some. Too big to fit in oven I guess...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 PM
davepnola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought another trans today for 450.00 which is very cheap, it has 87k and the Yard guaranteed good syncros and no pop out on the trans, so I paid with a credit card. Looks like the ball is in my court. I will fix the other trans , though I still will have to find this tool. In the old days we used to freeze cam bearings and install them by hand in block . I think cryogenics is definitely makes it easy when understanding molecular makeup !! Thanks for the advice , I doubt I will try it until i find a means of pulling properly on the bearing.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear syncro iffy ???