Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster won't start, has attitude!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:03 AM
k-town Kris
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boxster won't start, has attitude!!!

Hello everyone in Forum land!! I'm the newbie to the site with questions...
Five months ago I have a purchased my first Boxster; 98' Boxster with a wee bit of a problem... Well I replaced the motor 2.5 liter three months ago to have the mechanic improperly install the tiptronic transmission causing that to break. I have just had it rebuilt which I have installed.
The problem now is I took it out for a test drive for 1 km, went through the gears then I (pinned) floored it to have the car died at 5000rpm on acceleration. The engine turns over but won't start I have checked and the fuel pump is delivering at 55lbs. The only thing I have noticed is that the (tps) throttle position sensor is making a vibrating sound. Would the car run if this was defective?
I've spent more time and money trying to fix this car than driving it!!!!
Can anyone help?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default If mech improperly installed Tip then everything installed by him suspect...

Originally Posted by k-town Kris
Hello everyone in Forum land!! I'm the newbie to the site with questions...
Five months ago I have a purchased my first Boxster; 98' Boxster with a wee bit of a problem... Well I replaced the motor 2.5 liter three months ago to have the mechanic improperly install the tiptronic transmission causing that to break. I have just had it rebuilt which I have installed.
The problem now is I took it out for a test drive for 1 km, went through the gears then I (pinned) floored it to have the car died at 5000rpm on acceleration. The engine turns over but won't start I have checked and the fuel pump is delivering at 55lbs. The only thing I have noticed is that the (tps) throttle position sensor is making a vibrating sound. Would the car run if this was defective?
I've spent more time and money trying to fix this car than driving it!!!!
Can anyone help?

Not sure what you mean by TPS? Is that e-gas pedal assembly? IIRC this feature didn't appear until 2000 MY. My info is earlier MYs had/have mechanical throttle butterfly control with pedal linked to throttle by cable.

If mechanical throttle then expose engine and remove intake air tube and have someone work pedal while you observe throttle action. Is there cable movement? Does butterfly valve open/close?

Check intake air path clear of obstructions. Shop rag in tube?

Check electrical harness connections to ignition coils and to injectors. Loss of power/control at either one is these can allow engine to crank but not fire.

Also, longer shot, is some cars have a fuse on the crank and a fuse on the run circuit. Car engine will crank and even start (maybe) but as soon as key released to run position engine will stop. Fuse on run circuit bad.

Then there's the ignition switch. This can go bad and cause all sorts of odd behavior.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Ryan C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The noise that you are hearing is completely normal. It's the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It works on a duty cycle similar to a fuel injector but it opens and orifice to allow enough air by the throttle to idle when the throttle is closed.

As for is not starting. Do you get spark? Do you have a scan tool? Some faults require the DME seeing it more than once before it will trigger the check engine light, but will usually store a fault that it picks up but hasn't met the prerequisite for throwing the light. You should check for faults and let us know.

Quick Reply: Boxster won't start, has attitude!!!