Sponsored by:

Purchasing decisions????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Purchasing decisions????

I am in the market for a 3rd car that will be a “fun” car for my wife. Since I have daily driven a Porsche for the last 10 years she wants her own. We are looking at 2000-02 Boxster/S. While we are not looking for the lowest mileage garage queen we would like something decent. This discussion isn’t about maintenance or issue spotting it is about pricing/value. If anyone has looked at Boxster prices lately they are all over the map. I would really like some thoughts of mileage versus $$ cost versus performance.

The cars we have been looking at are what I would call good cars. Not rough and not excellent. I have been struggling with $$/mileage ratio. My question really is something like this...given similar options and condition would you rather have a car with 15-20K less miles or $2-3k savings in price. I am talking about cars with 43k miles versus say a car with 63k miles with a price difference of roughly $3000. Another twist on the question is for the same money would you get a Boxster S with 65k miles or a Boxster with 43k miles? I would really like to hear some various opinions and thoughts. Talk amongst yourselves
Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Brian-
I'll throw in my $.02
If the car is just for your wife and will never be tracked I would suggest getting the base Boxster and not an S. If conditions allow I would think of a 2003 (or newer) as they have the glass rear window as well as other improvements.

What is your price range?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 PM
bet
Drifting

While the car is primarily for my wife, I too will drive it and truthfully hope to track it initially instead of my Cayman S to gain more experience with the mid-engine layout. The boxster vs. Boxster S is an interesting discussion. I had a Boxster in 2000. Great car. However, I become addicted to power with the 2 911s that followed and even the Cayman S. Also, maybe even more interestingly, given any price point there are about equal number of choices. We are looking for a car priced in the high teens. In this price range the the difference between the S and non-s is not that great. Interestingly I find Boxster prices the most difficult to figure out. In the 911 world there are very few S cars that intermingle with similar content/mileage/age cars but in the Boxster world they do. I don't understand why I would pay $23k for a Boxster with 50k miles when I can get a Box S with 51k for the same price. There many examples of this.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was going to buy a Boxster in the high teens I would get have to get the best example of a non S I could find. I find it easy to drive wide open, whereas the S can't be driven wide open in nearly as many scenarios. An S in the high teens would be a fairly high mileage 2001 at best, at least in my experience. A lighter, less optioned Boxster is an absolute blast to drive for cheap. I regret having sold my 97, but at the time was enamored with the 968, which is also a great car, but much harder to drive, although faster than a Boxster and close to an S, at least the earlier versions. The 968 does have a much classier look though, IMHO. There are so many wonderful options in the high teens, even better in the 20s, and with every 10 grand it goes up exponentially with used Porsche cabs. Of course coupes are better still, where does the discussion end? Of course, for 5k you can get a prime example of a Miata that is just as much fun to drive as a Boxster, just slower, and without the sounds. I have a 90 model with coil overs and over size brakes...its a hoot
Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
racer
Drifting

If its really "her car", let her decide on the S/Non S issue, tip or no tip too. I had a non-S and it was fantastic.

The prices are all over the map, imho, because
1) No one wants to admit their car is a depriciating asset
1b) Many owners have an outstanding loan and some may be "upside down" and hoping to limit losses
2) Boxster production numbers, overall, are pretty large which makes them less "rare" to begin with
3) I struggled too with the S/NonS and Miles vs price discussions

In the end, it comes down to overall condition. A 1 owner car, with a proven maintenance history IS worth more than a 4-5 owner car with no records. One with 18's and leather should be more than non-leather and 16"s. no?

The real issue, I think for you, might be taking into consideration the maintenance that would crop up in the 40-60K mile range. Not uncommon to need, during this mileage range: new brake rotors and/or pads; Potentially a clutch; Shocks; General wear items/ 60K mile service charge; Tires; Top/rear window replacement on a pre '03; Waterpump/belt replacement;

Spending more for a 40K car that will need this may not be as smart as buying one that's already hads this stuff done.

If your "really" adventurous, very high teens couldl also get you a High mileage 996
Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 PM
R2R
Racer

Personally, I would like to see you and your wife take the 986S to the track and enjoy the mid-engine setup the way it was designed.

1. Look for a car with the options you can't live without!
2. Hopefully a one owner or at least one with maintenance records (history).
3. Glass window would be nice, but not a huge deal maker.
4. Go for the best example you can find in your price range regardless of whether it's an S or not. For learning and driving fun, it probably is a toss up. Both are great fun and a blast to drive.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 PM
bet
Drifting

Thanks for all the input. I have thought about most of this. Unfortunately I can't make a decision on what is important.

I am curious what does everyone consider high mileage on a 2000 or 2001 boxster?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I had 107k on a 97 when I sold it 4 years ago. The car was still fine, but it was springing leaks around the top and the bottom. Water under the carpet, oil on the ground. It had been treated badly by its' PO though. I brought it back to life, fixed all the leaks and sold it unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Rule of thumb used by some experts is 6000 to 9000 miles per year...

Originally Posted by bet
Thanks for all the input. I have thought about most of this. Unfortunately I can't make a decision on what is important.

I am curious what does everyone consider high mileage on a 2000 or 2001 boxster?
for a Porsche Boxster. However, some can be daily drivers and can rack up even more miles so even more than 9000 miles/year can be 'reasonable' mileage.

(You just knew this was coming: My '02 has over 196,000 miles on it so I've racked up roughly 30,000 miles/year driving the car.)

As someone else suggested a 1 owner car with an owner who can show you good service/maintanence records and ideally receipts that show the car received TLC like receipts more frequent oil changes, brake fluid flush/bleed, tranny fluid change, even coolant drain/refill, little things as well as big ones.

You want a car that was cherished by its owner, not ridden hard and put away wet.

I'd like one that has had RMS/intermediate shaft o-ring/bolt upgrade applied and upon good PPI shows no signs of oil seepage and no signs of being recently degreased either...

Car must be stock. Never tracked. Obviously no body/paint damage/repair.

Good tires. Brakes. (Not too new, not worn out either.)

A very thorough test of all vehicle subsystems from top operation to radio to of course a road test should uncover no reason to reject the car outright.

No need to thrash car. In fact I'd have owner take me for a long ride so I could focus on how car sounds, feels, and how driver drives car.

Then you test drive car to confirm you observations during test ride.

Upon returning to seller's location, let car sit and stand near it with open rear trunk. Check for coolant smells, gas or oil smells. Look under car for signs of oil seepage. (You will have good flashlight and clean blanket in car to toss on ground so you can lay down and look under car without getting dirty.)

And so on.

Whether you -- your wife -- gets a base or S, Tip or stick, depends upon how you both like the car during test drive and which car is best.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 PM
mborkow
Drifting

get the S. many of the problems I've read about with the Boxster didn't seem to be problems with the S
Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Very happy with my '01 S! Would have liked the glass rear window and glove box, but that comes with a higher price tag.

Do what my wife and I always do when we make a major purchase...shop, then decide over dinner and drinks!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Jerry 87 928S4
Burning Brakes

I need to jump into this discussion. I just sold my near perfect 87 928S4 for a price I couldn't refuse (primarily because it was an automatic). I have driven the Boxster/S and have always liked everything about them.

It seems that a significant change incurred in 2003 so that is the year I have been looking for. I think I would be fine with a Boxster or an S.

I was hoping I could find one under $20K due to their ubiquitous nature, due to mortgage problems and high gas prices.

Do you guys agree that 2003 is a good target year, mileage under 40K and is $20k reasonable. If so, any place other than fleabay and Autorader to check?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:59 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Try:

www.pricehub.com

This site allows buyers to post data, including condition etc. You can narrow search by make, model year, etc.

Prices for luxury items are all over the place. Many cars, boats, vacation properties can be had for what the owner owes on a note. You may need to do alot of searching and be patient.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry 87 928S4
I need to jump into this discussion. I just sold my near perfect 87 928S4 for a price I couldn't refuse (primarily because it was an automatic). I have driven the Boxster/S and have always liked everything about them.

It seems that a significant change incurred in 2003 so that is the year I have been looking for. I think I would be fine with a Boxster or an S.

I was hoping I could find one under $20K due to their ubiquitous nature, due to mortgage problems and high gas prices.

Do you guys agree that 2003 is a good target year, mileage under 40K and is $20k reasonable. If so, any place other than fleabay and Autorader to check?

I would think that a 2003 S (like my car w/ 23K) would be in the upper 20's or 30K.
I had a friend by a 2001 S last year for 24K with about 40K on it...

While some people use it for a daily driver and put 10+K /year on it most Porsche's are driven quite a bit less. We've been averaging closer to 5500/yr. Take your time and you will find one that fits your criteria.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for my .02. We bought an 01 S last fall with 51K on it. The little lady wanted a convertible for daily use, and I, as always, wanted another Porsche. It has plenty of options: PCM / nav, 18" twists (for now), heated crested seats, trip computer, and hard top. Soft top is good and the plastic window is actually in pretty good shape. The car was a solid driver but had a few paint chips and a receipt for a repainted bumper from a parking lot ding. At the time it needed brakes. Paid 20.5K.

Fast forward 10 months. I did the brake rotors and pads myself with parts sourced from the internet. Compared to the prices at my normal shop, I saved almost 50% for an easy job. I also spent about a grand for new tires. I ran one track day in it early this year on opening weekend before my race car was ready and found it to be a blast even on the Bridgestone all seasons I have on it. I had the shop do the 60K maintenance at 58.5K. All belts, filters, and fluids replaced, along with two sway bar droplinks. Doesn't leak a drop of oil, but it does have a couple more paint chips! So as she sits I have about 23.5K in it, with 59.5K miles on it.

It's worth every penny and more. The car is a blast. Both the wife and I refer to it as 'therapy'. A top-down romp is just what the doctor ordered after a day in the office. I leave even earlier in the morning than I used to so that I have the roads to myself on the way in. We both just absolutely love the car. Certainly beats the 08 Rabbit that is our other daily!

I've seen examples that are a bit nicer listed around 25K but they sit forever. A really nice 01S is maybe 21-22K tops. I would bet my car as is could be sold reasonably quickly for around 18K right now, with all of that maintenance done. I could hold out for 20 but the economy is sluggish and gas is more expensive. For an 03-04 I still think you would be talking about 24-26 for a good 40K mile example.

But I'm not selling... just driving and smiling

Last edited by schwank; 08-29-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Purchasing decisions????