Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spoiler maintenance

Does anyone have information on regular maintenance of the rear spoiler i.e., piston lubrication? I have not had time to read through the maintenance manual. Anyways, I noticed a low groaning sound the duration of the lift time of the rear spoiler when I went to clean the under side of it. It appears to work properly when driving, since I have not received a warning light in the dash. I assume it is a lubrication issue and if so what is the recommended lubricant?

Any input will be useful and I will respond with what the manual says once I get around to it.

Thanks,
Carlo
Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
R2R
Racer

I've never noticed an unusual noise in my 2000, but would love to know if any regular maintenance needed doing. If I fined something out before you receive a post with an answer, I'll forward it on.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Tierce
Pro

I'm also interested because mine goes up fine, but when it comes back down, it doesn't come all the way down. I usually have to push it down the last 1/4 inch or so. I've checked the alignment plenty of times, and it's fine.

subscribed.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default AFAIK, the spoiler requires no maintanence. I do know, based ...

Originally Posted by CSbox03s
Does anyone have information on regular maintenance of the rear spoiler i.e., piston lubrication? I have not had time to read through the maintenance manual. Anyways, I noticed a low groaning sound the duration of the lift time of the rear spoiler when I went to clean the under side of it. It appears to work properly when driving, since I have not received a warning light in the dash. I assume it is a lubrication issue and if so what is the recommended lubricant?

Any input will be useful and I will respond with what the manual says once I get around to it.

Thanks,
Carlo
on my car (02 Boxster) that the spoiler is noisier raising and lowering now than it was when car was new.

So far the spoiler raises fully and lowers fully. There is some looseness to the spoiler (when down -- I've not bothered to check for this up and I don't think I ever have so would have nothing to go on).

Only once has the spoiler given me any trouble. It failed to go down. Using the button I could not lower the spoiler.

Drove car to lunch and back and when I returned to office after lunch warning light off and spoiler down.

Never did figure out what happened but I do know this happened shortly (days? weeks? sometime anyhow) after I washed engine. I suspect some connector got a bit damp and caused some problem. Long shot but all I can think of.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

Checked out the shop manual and the only information I could find was about removal / installation of the rear spoiler. I searched the web and no info as of yet.

Thanks,
Carlo

--------------------
2003 Boxster S
2006 Mazda3
1970 Camaro Z28/RS
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
R2R
Racer

I finally heard back from the PCA Tech Q&A...

Question:
Is there any REGULAR/SCHEDULED maintenance that needs to be done on the Boxster rear spoiler? I noticed a low groaning sound the duration of the lift time when it is deployed from time to time.

Answer:
Other than a extended height adjustment there is no regular maintenance required for the retractable spoiler. You may want to check that the spoiler is free of any debris. The spoiler can be cleaned in the same manner as the vehicle exterior.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried to look around this and two other sites and can not find a DIY for spoiler motor removal. Does anyone know where to find one?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM
streaydog
Advanced

Interesting thread here. I've noticed that my spoiler doesn't go up at all when i hit the button. Haven't had time to figure it out but didn't look like there is anything blocking it or stuck in there when I open the trunk. From what I was told, boxster spoiler motors are pretty solid.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Mine went out. Tried the relays, no luck. Spoiler goes up about an inch and then stops. Has trouble retracting as well. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed as a bad motor. They wanted $800 to fix it.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
I have tried to look around this and two other sites and can not find a DIY for spoiler motor removal. Does anyone know where to find one?
No but I have a hard copy of the Boxster factory manual and can make a PDF of the pages that cover removing/installing the rear spoiler.

Send me a PM with your email address that can accept a PDF file and I'll send you what I have. Oh, the section is 7 pages. I do not know what the PDF file size will be. (I have to run the pages through a copier that creates/emails me a PDF file and then attache the PDF file to an email to the supplied email address.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Relays? What about a fuse?

The motors may be solid, check that they are solid: My 02 Boxster's spoiler still works and the car has over 249K miles on it; but nothing lasts forever: The motor could have died.

As an aside: the spoiler in my car might be a bit noisier than it used to be but I haven't bothered raising it manually and I know I can't hear it go up at speed, but as long as the spoiler goes up when it is supposed to and goes down when it is supposed to... I ain't complaining.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

The spoiler moves so I didn't think it would be a fuse. There is power going to the motor.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
The spoiler moves so I didn't think it would be a fuse. There is power going to the motor.
Sorry. Missed that. Might be worth while to disconnect the motor and the drive to the spoiler and make sure the spoiler can go up and down fully with no interference with anything to eliminate that possibility before replacing the motor.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

^Good idea. I'll give it a shot.

Now I need to find the directions on how to get to the motor. I am having trouble finding a DIY on-line. Anyone out there have a link for me??

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler maintenance