Sponsored by:

Boxster vs Carrera - touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:15 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster vs Carrera - touring

Lots of us hand wring over whether to go Boxster or 911. I've done it on and off for years but haven't strayed from the 911 camp (yet). I'm implicitly drawn to the driving, sporting characteristics of the Boxster S, but I've been disuaded because of concerns about reduced "practicality" compared to the 911 cab, particularly as a touring car.

I like to take unstructured road trips, like say hopping in the car and driving from Vancouver to Palm Springs via LA, San Diego or something like that. My GF will fly down and we'll connect somewhere for a vacation, but she's not the big driving fan that I am, so I do lots of miles solo.

I gave up working for a living so I plan to do even more touring with my next Porsche purchase.

I have a hard time thinking about giving up that back seat in going from a 911 cab to a Boxster. It's much too convenient a place to toss stuff and keep necessaries handy while on the road, plus I'm thinking that that smaller interior space of the Boxster might get irritating on long stretches with the top up.

Anyone do much touring in the Boxster?

I have a friend that seems happy as a clam touring solo in a Miata but there's not necessarily any accounting for taste or common sense.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

..yes, i have 3 cross country trips in my '04 Anniversary Edition.

In '05 to San Diego and back...spent 2 months away fro PAs winter (Mid jan to Mid March)

In '06 a trip to Portland OR for the Porsche Parade, 29 days and 7700 miles. Visited 3 national Parks, the Black Hills and Mt St Helens in WA.

In '08 drove out to Palm Desert CA for the Winter (Jan Feb and March) once again we put 4,000 miles on the car while in CA visiting National Parks and meeting Porsche folks.

In between, we did MI upper pennisula, Road Atlanta in GA and a few trips to the Carolina Mts.

My wife and I are both in our 60s...me deeper than her, and find the car easy on our bones. It has ROW M030 and 18s.

We can pack enough for about 10-11 days before the need for laundry..

Is it a tourer?? Well I guess. The picture is us above Palm Desert on Rt 74.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM
joey c
Pro

i have had 2 boxsters..the being an s...i prefer them to the 996..they are smaller=sportier...i currently own a 1987 911...i can tell you that it is the most fun i have had driving a car...maybe you could look at a targa...they could be picked up for a lot less than a 996 or a 2003-04 boxster s....they are really fun..go check out the 911 board..they are very reliable cars..lets say 20ish will get u a great car..good luck j
Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Boxster works great with both front and rear trunk. My wife and I would take trips and have tons of space for anything we wanted to take. That being said both are very good choices and ultimately its a preference thing.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa

In '05 to San Diego and back...spent 2 months away fro PAs winter (Mid jan to Mid March)

In '06 a trip to Portland OR for the Porsche Parade, 29 days and 7700 miles. Visited 3 national Parks, the Black Hills and Mt St Helens in WA.

In '08 drove out to Palm Desert CA for the Winter (Jan Feb and March) once again we put 4,000 miles on the car while in CA visiting National Parks and meeting Porsche folks.

In between, we did MI upper pennisula, Road Atlanta in GA and a few trips to the Carolina Mts.

My wife and I are both in our 60s...me deeper than her, and find the car easy on our bones. It has ROW M030 and 18s.

We can pack enough for about 10-11 days before the need for laundry..

Is it a tourer?? Well I guess. The picture is us above Palm Desert on Rt 74.

Wow! I could go around the world 50 times in a Boxster but don't don't ask me do it in the passenger seat.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa

Wow, that's excellent - nice looking car!

I am inspired!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Perfect color as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak from my experience in the 986S.... The amount of stuff I can pack into my two trunks is impressive. We have gone on pretty long road trips and packed clothes, cooking gear and beach gear and had no problem with space, or comfort.

Truth be told, I could not pack in more stuff in our Jetta with the exception of our surf boards.

A friend who used to have a 986 and now has a 997 4S cab told me that he cannot bring along 1/4 of the gear he used to be able to bring along. His front trunk is ate up by the 4 wheel drive system and the gas tank. The rear seats are small and are exposed to the elements (wind) and make for very selective stowing.

Do yourself a favor, bring your gear to a dealer and try to fit it into both cars. Then go for a test drive. Pick the one that suites you best.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

for touring, assuming 2 people, the only space issues I can think of where the cab beats the boxster is if you don't want things to get hot, both trunks get very, very warm in the box, whereas the back seat of the cab is privy to the AC or plain air

I'd not want to put groceries or a packed lunch in either of the trunks for any length of time
Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ..more on touring

All this fits into a Boxster and it is OUT OF SIGHT...unlike the back seat of a Carrera. Actually the pillows go behind the seats, so they would be visible, but they come out each night at the motel.

This was the unload from our Portland Parade trip in 2006..we have since found some additional squeeze room.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I own both (and have taken long trips) in both cars. I'd say the 911 is a little more practical, but not as much as you would think.

The rear trunk in the Boxster is surprisingly large (you can fit a full set of golf clubs back there) and is much easier to pack than the back seat of a 911. You sacrifice a little room, but not too much.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
equ
Racer

May I say, cayman? Perfect for sports & touring.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Julie and I took our first to Fla (from Cinci, OH) for a week long vacation. When we left the hotel, the bellhops (for lack of a better term) laughed at us when they saw all of our luggage and then I pulled up in the Boxster. I'd swear they were taking bets on whether or not it would all fit. They were pretty amazed when it did. Anywho...

The car was great on the trip. As I've aged (ahem), I'm less thrilled with traveling long distances in a convertible, but overall I've had no problems with comfort or reliability on trips. Plus, we averaged just under 30 mpg with a high recording of 32 on one stretch.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Nathaniel
Track Day

I was extremely surprised at how much storage the Boxster actually has between the two trunks. I did 6000 miles this past August and it was fantastic. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of cup holders, but that was easy enough to deal with. Otherwise, it fits a healthy amount of luggage and is quite comfortable.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default I've covered over 187,000 miles in my '02 Boxster and didn't ...

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Lots of us hand wring over whether to go Boxster or 911. I've done it on and off for years but haven't strayed from the 911 camp (yet). I'm implicitly drawn to the driving, sporting characteristics of the Boxster S, but I've been disuaded because of concerns about reduced "practicality" compared to the 911 cab, particularly as a touring car.

I like to take unstructured road trips, like say hopping in the car and driving from Vancouver to Palm Springs via LA, San Diego or something like that. My GF will fly down and we'll connect somewhere for a vacation, but she's not the big driving fan that I am, so I do lots of miles solo.

I gave up working for a living so I plan to do even more touring with my next Porsche purchase.

I have a hard time thinking about giving up that back seat in going from a 911 cab to a Boxster. It's much too convenient a place to toss stuff and keep necessaries handy while on the road, plus I'm thinking that that smaller interior space of the Boxster might get irritating on long stretches with the top up.

Anyone do much touring in the Boxster?

I have a friend that seems happy as a clam touring solo in a Miata but there's not necessarily any accounting for taste or common sense.
rack all those miles getting groceries.

The car's a nice tourer for one person. I've never carried anyone in it for any great distances.

I've covered 5000+ miles in a week's driving.

I've no time in a Carrera so I can't say how it would compare.

Couple of things: The Boxster is a very nimble and good handling vehicle. Nothing like having a good car under one on the road. Car is comfortable and for me has plenty of room to carry luggage (soft) and laptop, and other stuff. I don't usually carry much in the cabin cause I like to keep the risk of having someone break into the car for anything laying in the cabin to a minimum.

I keep car in good condition and service it frequently. No one wants to break down on the road. I do like its spare (space saver) tire vs. nothing but a can of sealer, pump and a cell phone. Would prefer a full sized spare but ain't going to happen.

One knock with the Boxster that other cars I've used for long distance driving don't have: Can't recline the driver's seat and stretch out and take a quick snooze. With my other cars I could even lay down rear seats -- thus having a flat surface that extended from just behind front seats to rear of car (including the trunk) and in a pinch stretch out full length on a sleeping bag and catch some Zs. Doesn't take the place of a motel or hotel but sometimes I get caught out late and just have to stop and rest before going on to motel.

With the Carrera of course can't fold down the rear seats and stretch out but if the driver's seat can recline so one is almost horizontal and with the seat as far back as one can get it if this allows me to stretch out without having to get out of car...Not sure I'd give up the Boxster for the Carrera for just that though. (Tempted to check out an '02 Carrera with 40,000 miles for $35.9 though to see how it drives, handles and how comfortable it is on the road.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Boxster vs Carrera - touring